What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headed to Oshkosh?

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
At least that was the response from one airplane friend when I sent him a picture of the RV-10 going on a flatbed to the airport/paint shop. (I'm not sure I could afford the cost of a flatbed trip to Oshkosh.)

This was a stressful move for me. It is 30+ miles to the airport and 25 of those miles are on busy Atlanta interstate. The RV-10's track width isn't *that* much narrower than the flatbed, so there's always the chance of something going badly wrong. But nothing did.

In addition, I was trying to get the -10 to the airport and retrieve the next project (see below) before the rain started. I literally got the Champ into the shop/garage 5 minutes before it started raining.

In addition, I was trying to get the -10 to the airport and retrieve the next project (see below) before the rain started. I literally got the Champ into the shop/garage 5 minutes before it started raining.

Seems like you have fewer finish tapes around the forward window area on your champ project than I have put on my champ project, maybe I was overkill.
Waiting for cooler weather to fill the weave and prime and paint:)

Not gonna be staying in HBC this year, but flying in commercial and staying in the dorms (better for my wife's health issues). But planning to spend some time hanging out in HBC. Hope to see you all there.

Interested in taking a look at an RV-10

I'm interested in building an RV-10 and it would be great to take a look at some of the completed RV-10s at Oshkosh this year. I will be there on Saturday, 7/31. Please let me know if anybody is planning to fly their -10 to OSH this year and willing to let me look around. Van's will possibly be offering test flights that I have already submitted an interest form for.

I'm interested in building an RV-10 and it would be great to take a look at some of the completed RV-10s at Oshkosh this year. I will be there on Saturday, 7/31. Please let me know if anybody is planning to fly their -10 to OSH this year and willing to let me look around. Van's will possibly be offering test flights that I have already submitted an interest form for.

I'm not planning to fly out until Aug 1st so you're more than welcome to come poke around mine.

There will be lots of them there. Mine included. If I am at the plane I would be happy to let you look around.

Seems like you have fewer finish tapes around the forward window area on your champ project than I have put on my champ project, maybe I was overkill.
Waiting for cooler weather to fill the weave and prime and paint:)

I didn't do any of the work on this fuselage. I'm aware of at least one moderate problem with it (the typical age and hard landing related door opening geometry problems) and a couple of minor issues (poorly finished wooden stiffeners). I'll be addressing those and also doing some research to make sure the fabric is/was done properly. I'll probably make a few detail pictures at Oshkosh and if that isn't enough, Bill Pancake still answers my calls (An FYI for the RV crowd - Bill is a tremendous source of Aeronca knowledge).

I've already rebuilt the wings, so I'm like 12% complete on the project. ;-)

I’ll be arriving in HBC on Saturday morning and staying through Thursday morning.

We’re driving up (RV is still in the build phase) unfortunately so we will be camping in Scholler. The family and I will definitely make our way to HBC to look around and say hey to whoever is out and about around their airplanes. My wife and kids would love to see a finished version of what they have been working on for the past couple years

Looking at Planes

We’re driving up (RV is still in the build phase) unfortunately so we will be camping in Scholler. The family and I will definitely make our way to HBC to look around and say hey to whoever is out and about around their airplanes. My wife and kids would love to see a finished version of what they have been working on for the past couple years

Looking at Planes at Osh is like Halloween. Do you stay home and hand out candy, or go out and party with your neighbors?

Arriving Saturday in homebuilt camping with 3 other RV-10's
Charlie Derk
Joe Keys
Tim hunnycut
and myself.

Mine is the ugly unpainted one that will be surrounded by fancy bright -10's

Would like to check out your build

Arriving Saturday in homebuilt camping with 3 other RV-10's
Charlie Derk
Joe Keys
Tim hunnycut
and myself.

Mine is the ugly unpainted one that will be surrounded by fancy bright -10's

Hello Dr. Mark,

Until when do you all plan to stay at OSH? I was hoping to check out your RV-10s while there toward the end of AirVenture week.

Back