What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Fuselage - B/O parts, can I continue without these ?

vinzer

Well Known Member
Hello everyone!

Finally few days ago I was able to pick up my slowbuild fuselage kit. There was some delay due to QA issues and I hopped that all was resolved and all parts will be in. However my kit still has few back ordered parts and specifically

- WD01021-L-1
- WD01021-R-1
- WD1011-L-PC
- WD1011-R-PC
- WD1012-PC

While last three are non-critical at the moment, the first two are main landing gear mounts and I do not have them yet. My question to these of you who already passed that stage of building:
Will I be able to do Section 25 without these and continue with build while finish related to main landing gear mounts part later on with assembled fuselage ? Ideally I prefer to continue with all sections and get gear mounts installed when arrive from VANs. Until what point can I go without absolutely needed these two to be match drilled/installed ? I looked up the assembly instructions but can not figure that out.
Thank you for your input on this!
Vlad

In short, yes

You will need to have the gear mount related things done before section 28 where the forward spar bulkhead is attached to the front fuselage section or getting at the holes might be difficult.

Specifically, page 28-8 step 5 (my older PDF plans) where the forward center section bulkhead is bolted to the forward fuselage ribs. Once the bulkhead is attached, it would probably be difficult to do the match drilling and the relief of the bottom flange, or to clean out all the steel chips - which you don't want in the aluminum structure.

You could also skip ahead and do sections 30, 31, 36, and 37 (I can't recall if those parts came in the fuselage or finish kits for the last two sections). You can remove the steps to be bolted in later. Also leave off the fuel lines from control valve to side skins and the brake lines outside the tunnel. Sections 36 and 37 are actually easier to start before the forward fuselage is mated.

flion and leok - Thank you for your detailed responses. I reviewed installation manual and now have better understanding of what I can do based on your recommendations.
Spoke with VANs today about B/O parts - looks like it will be another 5-6 weeks delay so not a big deal - will do whatever I can then.
;)

Back