What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D-180 : what if it fails a static system test?

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm having my A/C into an avionics shop for a static system check later this month. I'm worried that my Dynon D-180 might not be accurately reporting altitudes. The unit is over 12 years old and so wouldn't be under warranty anymore. Do any of you know if a D-180 fails a static system check, is there a calibration procedure that an avionics technician can do without removing the unit from the A/C? Or would I be forced to send the unit back to Dynon for repair? Or even worse, would such a failure basically mean that my best option would be to buy a new EFIS? :(

Phil

It is possible to Calibrate the D180 in the settings. Check the manual for instructions. So if it’s slightly out that might be an option.
I’m not sure if dynon still service them but I’ve sent mine in in the past.

Regards

Peter

Last edited:
Very possible your D-180 is putting out bad data, if ADS-B equipped, fill out an ADS-B Performance Report online, which will come back in about 10 minutes. If all is good then I would check for a leaking static system. Most pitot/static checks fail due to a leak down in the static system.

Static System

I'm having my A/C into an avionics shop for a static system check later this month. I'm worried that my Dynon D-180 might not be accurately reporting altitudes. The unit is over 12 years old and so wouldn't be under warranty anymore. Do any of you know if a D-180 fails a static system check, is there a calibration procedure that an avionics technician can do without removing the unit from the A/C? Or would I be forced to send the unit back to Dynon for repair? Or even worse, would such a failure basically mean that my best option would be to buy a new EFIS? :(

You don't say why you're concerned that the static system may not pass. Symptoms would presumably play into the diagnosis and plan, but at least in my experience, a failed static system test is most often caused by a leak in the system somewhere. I'd at least check that before assuming it's an issue with your Dynon.

I don't think there is any way to calibrate the D180 static pressure sensor yourself, at least my D180 doesn't have any menu option to do that. I believe that Dynon still supports the D180 even though it was discontinued and you can send it in for repair for about $450.
Do you observe a problem that your D180 is not reporting the correct altitude (compared to another pressure altimeter that is known to be good) when sitting on the ground with the correct Baro value set?
Best option could be to email Dynon support, they are responsive and helpful.

You don't say why you're concerned that the static system may not pass.
Disagreement in altitudes reported by the D-180 and my brand new Garmin G5. The variance between altitudes reported by the two units varies with altitude and from day to day, and in some cases differs by about 40 feet. I've tried different settings for the Dynon single offset (ALTADJ) but, as as soon as i change altitude or the next day, there is discrepancy again. The other day i set the Dynon D-180 ALT ADJ to match the G5 (both set to the same Koltzman setting). I took off and climebd and they started to disagree. 20 minutes later i landed again and they disagreed at ground level where they had agreed just before takeoff.
If the Garmin is the culprit, there is a detailed calibration procedure the technician can do in his shop. If the D-180 is at fault, then it has to go back for service (Dynon said they do still service these units).
We'll see what happens when i get it into the technician for the static system check.

Following

Interesting discussion as I am considering replacing the backup legacy ASI and Altimeter that I put in the panel 14 years ago next to the D100 with a G5 to act as the dedicated HSI for the GNX 375 I recently installed. The G5 would also act as a backup ADI should the D100 blank out (has happened before due to overheating).
I was also under the impression that the G5 with the altitude encoder could provide the input to the 375 for the transponder function and possibly even provide the altitude data to the TruTrak Gemini over arinc 429.

If the D180 and the G5 are connected to the same static system then wouldn't any error in the static system be the same on both units and be consistent at any altitude?

Can the G5 replace the backup round dial instruments?

This would be an affordable upgrade to my existing panel.
Figs

Back