What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Akzo Priming

ailerons

I'm New Here
I asked AkzoNobel which of their primers they'd recommend for an aluminum kit plane if the primary objectives were 1) Corrosion resistance, and 2) top coat adhesion. They recommended their Aerodur HS 2118 chromate-free epoxy primer.

I also asked if the primer required a topcoat for interior applications (since some do for corrosion resistance). They said it was not necessary to topcoat but it could be painted for aesthetic reasons.

Was curious if anyone has used 2118 on their build?

Also, assuming the primer is compatible with the anticipated topcoat, is there any reason NOT to prime both sides of the parts? (Scuff, dimple, prime process).

Exterior

I asked AkzoNobel which of their primers they'd recommend for an aluminum kit plane if the primary objectives were 1) Corrosion resistance, and 2) top coat adhesion. They recommended their Aerodur HS 2118 chromate-free epoxy primer.

I also asked if the primer required a topcoat for interior applications (since some do for corrosion resistance). They said it was not necessary to topcoat but it could be painted for aesthetic reasons.

Was curious if anyone has used 2118 on their build?

Also, assuming the primer is compatible with the anticipated topcoat, is there any reason NOT to prime both sides of the parts? (Scuff, dimple, prime process).

If you plan to paint the exterior, call and ask what steps are needed for top coat on cured primer. Probably sanding at a minimum.
If you plan to farm out the exterior, it's advisable not to apply anything outside. The paint shop will likely remove it and charge for the removal. They can't guarantee the finish if they didn't prep and apply all the paints.

Back