What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil control ring solvent flush

Real or Memorex

Is this a real concern?

Seems like this is mainly for engines that have been sitting for a while where the oil is questionable?

I have cleaned pistons in a similar concoction with an ultrasonic cleaner and found it worked well. I have a customer that has a great running O-320 that uses a bit of oil and it gets dirty fast. Will try this on his engine to get some data. On an RV with the exhaust running downhill and nowhere for the solvent to collect there's very little risk in trying this. Thanks for posting.

Piston oil ring flush.

I followed this exact procedure on my RV-6 O-320 160HP. On cylinders 1,2 & 4 about 2 months ago. #3 cylinder was new.
It has made a big difference in oil consumption as well as how clean the oil appears on the dipstick. About 700 hours on these cylinders since O/H with good compression.
It takes a lot of force on the prop to force the “witches brew” past the oil control ring & thru the drain holes. Wear gloves & take it slow. I did it twice on each of these 3 cylinders.

It works

Hard to do this without making a toxic mess and people will think you are running a meth lab. Make sure you are on the compression stroke when you pour in the flush!

Back