What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset recommendation

Robin8er

Well Known Member
Looking for a headset for my wife and need suggestions. Here is the dilemma:

Bose A20 doesn't work because the active noise canceling hurts her ears. I've experienced this with David Clark noise canceling, so I know what she means.

David Clark 10-13.4 doesn't work because it clamps her head too hard and causes a headache after about half hour. This is one of the lightest clamping David Clark's as far as I know.

In ear headset doesn't work because she has a piercing in her ear.

Basically she is looking for a passive headset with very minimal clamping pressure (like the A20)

Any suggestions?

Have you considered Halo or Clarity Aloft ear plug headsets? I had Lightspeed ANR's and the Halo's and Clarity aloft seem as quiet as the lightspeed. I also thought the earplugs would bother me but they don't. I have an RV6 and being 6'3" it gave me a fair amount more comfort. Seat padding and visibility over the nose.

The wife has Clarity Aloft. She got her's first. I think the Halo's are just as good and around $100 cheaper.

i have never before seen anyone complaining that 'active nose canceling hurts their ears'. That said, headsets seem to fit different people differently. Best bet is to go to a shop where you can try different ones on for fit and comfort.

Why not just turn off noise cancelling on a A20 if she likes them? I assume you can.

When you turn the ANR off, they are VERY Very very noisy. The is almost no passive noise reduction. All ANR headsets that come from the factory that I have tried also have very poor passive noise reduction.

Headsets are like underwear, what one person likes, another may dislike. Hard to make a recommendation about something so personal.

My girlfriend likes the Zulu 3 - she tried both the Bose X and A20, didn't like either of them.

She says the Zulu is more comfortable. There is an option for a taller pad on the part that goes over your head which makes it fit her better as well.

See if you can find a set of Peltor headsets. The old ones with the white ear cups. They work really well on a wide range of head sizes and are VERY comfortable. They work great!

FWIW, I also find that some types of canceling cause initial discomfort and take some getting used to. I greatly prefer my AKG AV100 to Boses and Lightspeeds for long-range comfort and sound quality (also own LS3 and used A20 and Claritys in the past). Very light clamping pressure, superb canceling and a crisp mike; been happy with mine for four years now. Sadly, they seem to be discontinued, support may become a problem. There's still new old stock listed on some websites, or you might be able to pick up a used one on the cheap.

Last edited:
I'm with Joe on the Peltor. I also modified a set with the ANR kit, which worked great, but I realize you want a passive headset.
Don't hold your nose against a cheap Flightcom headset.
Those things are just about bulletproof, I keep them as reserve headsets, and use them frequently.
Also, on any headset, you can bend the head band spring to change the tension, add padding across the top, put more or different stuffing in the ear cups or wear ear plugs inside.

Alas I think the A20's have some of the lowest clamping force...

That said, get some foam earplugs from the drug store and see if she can wear those. If so, she should be able to wear an in-ear/Halo/etc. (The band at least on the Halo can go in a number of different positions -- I don't think even some of the more extreme piercings should interfere?)

See if you can find a set of Peltor headsets. The old ones with the white ear cups. They work really well on a wide range of head sizes and are VERY comfortable. They work great!

This was my first headset, and I still like it.

Possible Peltor replacement

I use Peltors and like them, but they are no longer made. While at SnF this year I found these and will most likely order one if my Peltors die.

https://www.wicomheadsets.com/

I have not tried them yet, has anyone else?

Well thanks for the replies. I got bids on ebay for a cheap in ear headset and a cheap peltor. I can see why the peltors would be comfortable. Hopefully I win the bid and between the 5 head sets she have available to try she likes one of them.

Peltor

Please let us all know how the Peltor headset works out... I have used Peltors in my workshop for 20 years and have always wondered how their aviation headsets are.

I am also VERY interested in reports on the Wicom headsets. That looks like a very nice option for an extra set to keep in the airplane.

Thanks!
Andrew

Back