What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling Flap Motor Heads up

CharlesC

I'm New Here
Hi, all,
A few years back there was a problem with the eye bolt unscrewing from the end of the flap jackscrew. Vans issued an SB and that subsequently made it into the plans.
The procedure was to drill a small hole in the 'lip' of the end of the extender bar to allow a piece of safety wire to be inserted to prevent the jam nut from loosening.
So, I very carefully marked, center punched, and drilled the hole trying very hard to go at a 45 degree angle to the face of the tube.
Long story short, I got the whole system installed and was testing it with a battery. On full extension of the jackscrew - Bloop, out came a dollop of nice fresh grease from the hole I drilled.
I guess I pierced the inside of the mechanism.
I've already bit the bullet and decided to just replace the flap motor assembly,
but it currently is $695 and is on back order at Van's.
Just a heads up to future readers - make that hole as shallow as you can.

Proseal or RTV

I think I would try ruffing it up with some sandpaper, cleaning it real good then either proseal or RTV over the hole to see if that would seal it. If it works could save you some money for a while at least and allow you to continue to fly.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not anywhere near flying yet - the plane is under construction.
Your suggestion is a good one, I will try that and keep my fingers crossed!

PH Aviation

Consider an actuator from PHAviation...and its half the price of the stock one.

Second that. It also has a built-in travel sensor. No need to install one. Order the install kit too.
If you realky want a Vans motor, I'm not using mine. 1/2 price?

wonder

You have to wonder why Vans went to an actuator that looks very much like the PH Aviation one in the new kits...

Thank you to all that replied, this community is amazing.
I checked out the PHAviation actuator and it looks much more robust than the stock Vans. In addition, as pointed out, it is self limiting and has the ability to report its position to the avionics. And, it is half the price.
Order sent.
Again, much obliged to all that replied!

Back