What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat Shrink Terminals

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
What's the consensus on terminals with integrated heat shrink insolation?

The TE Connectivity AMP PIDG seem to be the standard. Double crimp giving proper strain relief. However, seems like the heat string with sealing glue would be stronger that a second crimp and add the benefit of water-proofing (not that corrosion is and issue with properly sized, tined wire).

Curious, more than anything, if there's a better product out there.

Z070qzfo5oy.JPG

What's the consensus on terminals with integrated heat shrink insolation?

The TE Connectivity AMP PIDG seem to be the standard. Double crimp giving proper strain relief. However, seems like the heat string with sealing glue would be stronger that a second crimp and add the benefit of water-proofing (not that corrosion is and issue with properly sized, tined wire).

Curious, more than anything, if there's a better product out there.

Z070qzfo5oy.JPG

Consensus? Ha! We can't even agree to prime or not prime! Or tailwheel/nose-wheel! Or a hyphen before "wheel" when writing tailwheel and nose-wheel! :D

The heat shrink terminals look great, and TE is a quality supplier. I have not used them, but my only concern would be does the heat shrink provide enough support to the wire? And additional cost, and extra step of heating each connector.

I'll bet someone like Stein or his team would have some valuable feedback.

Are these amp brand connectors, and can you see the wire through the heat shrink to know when it's stuck in far enough?

If the answer to both of those is yes then seems like you probably have an equivalent quality to the AMP PIDG.

But why? Seems like in 99% of cases this is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist and now you have to try to heat shrink every crimp on ring terminal without melting something else.

PIDG terminals were invented to help alleviate all that monkey motion.

Last edited:
The crimping tool is as important as the terminals, those terminals wouldn’t work in my AMP crimpers. And having to shrink each one, ain’t gonna happen.
Just don’t see what benefit they would offer.

can someone recommend a proper crimping tool for these heat shrink terminals?

I think calling those crimpers "proper" is a WAG at best, crimpers are actually precision tools made to precisely crimp specific terminals, in the certified world where I used to play, they were actually checked/calibrated every year.

Back