What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans hoses

ILikePike

Well Known Member
What kind of hoses are supplied with Vans FWF kits? I am trying to determine when to replace FWF and brake hoses. Any advice appreciated. For example, I used VA-102 SS braided hoses at my brake calipers. Are these rubber or some other material?

What kind of hoses are supplied with Vans FWF kits? I am trying to determine when to replace FWF and brake hoses. Any advice appreciated. For example, I used VA-102 SS braided hoses at my brake calipers. Are these rubber or some other material?

I would reach out to Tom at TS Flightlines. He can give you better insight to this question. As I understand, Van’s may have changed nose suppliers in the last year or so.

Van’s original hoses had recommended five year life. Teflon hoses have a longer life.

The original hoses Vans had back in the day were Aeroquip 701, rubber lines hoses. In 2012-2013, they started using some teflon from various vendors.

In 2021 we started supplying Vans with our integral firesleeved assemblies for their FWF packages. WE took the original part numbers and updated them to -1 numbers (EX VA139-1) to identify the revised assemblies. Pics below.
Yes conductive teflon, yes Mil Spec stainless hose ends, pressure tested to 2000 psi, conforms to TSO C140.

Last pic is from our good friend and client, Paul Dye. These original hoses were from their RV6 that he and Louise repowered. Ours are the integral replacements.

Tom

Attachments

• ASF IF HOSE 3.jpg
    ASF IF HOSE 3.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 132
  • ASF IF HOSE ASSEMBLIES FWF.jpg
    ASF IF HOSE ASSEMBLIES FWF.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Paul Dye hoses-old and new.jpg
    Paul Dye hoses-old and new.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 172
Hoses

Hose construction aside, if your build isn't exactly Vans standard, expect to need custom hoses.
I only used one or two. Everything else was custom from TS Flightlines and fits perfect.

Tom cleared things up for me today. He made a few hoses during my build and added some fire sleeve to some Van's hoses. Great service back then and great service today. It turns out all of my hoses are Teflon so no age issues. After talking with Tom today, I remembered that I had figured all of this out during my build.

I feel like I am getting old because my "new" RV has been flying for just over 6 years and I am having to re-learn what I already figured out during the build.

Is there a way to tell whether we have Teflon hoses by inspection? Mine were all supplied by Vans originally

Bob---generally speaking, a rubber lined hose from Vans would be Aeroquip 701, identified by a blue anodized fitting and a red collar. Stainless braid over a synthetic rubber liner. Some early hoses were Aeroquip 303, again a rubber lined hose but with a gold collar. Distinctive black cotton cover, with a steel reinforcement braid, a cotton braid under that, then a synthetic rubber liner. Very common in general aviation.

Most teflon hoses use a crimped fitting, generally steel or more appropriate, stainless steel. Vans supplied oil and fuel pressure hoses had steel nuts and generally plated brass collars, as seen from this damaged hose that rubbed on some structure. Their oil and fuel hoses were generally from Stratoflex, and had stainless hose ends. Ours, from -2 through -8 are all stainless hose ends meeting Mil Spec. -10 through -16 uses aluminum made from 2024T3. (Next production run will upgrade to 7075T73).

Since some of you did not build your planes, there may be questions about what type of hoses you actually have. Pics are great for identification. We'll be glad to identify them for you.

Tom

Attachments

• bad hose!!.jpg
    bad hose!!.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 98
The Hose Life

Vans hoses last 5 years? Seems like a short life but of course there’s no operational downside to replacing hoses more often, other than the $ thing. I’d read high pressure FWF 303 hoses live 8 to 10 years, depending on who’s literature you’re reading. I change ours at 10 years. At A&P school, we were told that if you take a hose off the airplane and it retains its bend, don’t put it back on. I’ve removed a distressing number of hoses that make crackling noises when flexed, from both experimentals and approved type certified airplanes. Teflon hoses last much longer. I think TS Flightlines warrants them for 7 years (izzat right, Tom?) but seems like most operators around the home drome consider them lifetime. Teflon hoses are a bit easier to snake around the engine bay, too. I’ll be ordering a couple any day now. Big $, but worth it.

Last edited:
RV-14(A) FWF now all TS Flightlines?

If TS Flightlines is now supplying all of the FWF hoses in the RV-14(A) kits, that's going to save me some work customizing my FWF kit order when I place that order with Van's in the not very distant future.

Jerry, we were going by the old FAA AC20-7N criteria that said 5 years or at engine overhaul. Obviously meant for certified aircraft, and I believe was meant for the H8794 spec hoses (Aeroquip 303/Stratoflex 111). I also believe that this applies to all synthetic rubber lined hoses, but thats MY interpretation.

Teflon generally eliminates the finite service life criteria because teflon is impervious to most all chemicals in aviation. YES--if the hose has a natural bend from installation, care must be used when removing, IF you are reinstalling the same hose. Dont try and straighten it out----maintain the bend. Straightening could fracture the liner and create a leak path.

Tom

Attachments

• AC 20-7N.pdf
    257.7 KB · Views: 120
Chip----as long as you are building to the plans, all of the OE Vans hoses (our -1 part numbered hoses) install. Keep in mind that the Vans lengths were determined by Vans on their prototype FWF install. Neat little items like backup alternators, upright oil filter adapters, and yes even PMags/EIS, or Sureflys change the lenghts of the hoses. WE have a beta tested optional solution for them.

Tom

Back