What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Viton high temp brake o rings. What Fluid

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
What fluid does vans recommend for the new Viton piston o rings? I have a dragging brake. Is the Viton compAtible with 5606A?

Last edited:
What fluid does vans recommend for the new Viton piston o rings? I have a dragging brake. Is the Viton compatible with 5606A?

Going on 6 years with no problems.

Grab the caliper and shake it. It should have a small amount of movement.
The guide pins need to be clean and free to slide.

Do this first.....
Watch the bottom of the master cyl (connected to the pedal) for movement as you pull back on the top of the pedal. Should not move (extend.)

note.... When you install the pistons, the end with the "O" ring goes in first.

Last edited:
Why not switch to a better fluid?

What fluid does vans recommend for the new Viton piston o rings? I have a dragging brake. Is the Viton compatible with 5606A?

Viton is compatible with both 5606A and the newer/better Royco 782 [aka 83282D] If you need to refill your brake fluid, why not switch over to the better 83282D fluid? See

https://tinyurl.com/3cxeph48

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/aeroshell08-14635.php

https://pilotjohn.com/c/aircraft-consumables/aircraft-hydraulic-fluids/83282

Charlie

Shook the calipher..it has movement. Jacked the wing up, spun the wheel and confirmed the dragging brake. Removed the calipher and spun the wheel. Spins smooth as silk with no bearing noise and runs on forever. The disc is perfectly perpendicular and in perfect alignment. No wobble at all. Took the assembly apart and checked the piston for scoring. Calipher slides smooth on the pins and they show no wear. Shimmed the assembly with a thin piece of gasket material and bolted everything back on. torqued to specs. Drag was WORSE!

unbolted everything and removed the gasket shim. bolted it all beck together (less torque) and it spun a little better but still dragging.

The only thing I didn't think to do was check the pedal return, but I couldn't climb on the plane while it was jacked up..Anyone know which model of Cleveland brake assembly goes on the RV7A. Appears to be about 5" square and it's definitely a Cleveland. My illustrated parts manual shows 30-9 but there is an A and a B and a C series. Don't know which one I have.

Last edited:
I had a baby lakes biplane that would drag a brake onLy once in a while. I would tap the caliper or crack the bleeder and it would release. Very frustrating. Eventually I tore into the master, disassembled it, cleaned it and put it back together. Never found the culprit, but it fixed it. Perhaps a speck of something would block the return hole.

Wish I knew how to post photos to this forum. When I click on the Insert Image icon, it wants me to insert a link to the photo. All I am able to do is insert a link to my Google Drive photo and insert it that way. The link shows up in my post but the actual photo never appears.

one way

Wish I knew how to post photos to this forum. When I click on the Insert Image icon, it wants me to insert a link to the photo. All I am able to do is insert a link to my Google Drive photo and insert it that way. The link shows up in my post but the actual photo never appears.

you can copy the photo to your desk top and then select desk top photo with VAF tool. Or windows has a clip function, similar to the old print screen on older computers, this will bring picture onto desktop

Where is the desktop copy photo tool? There's an insert image icon on the reply to post menu bar but you are saying there's a copy and paste tool somewhere else?

Where is the desktop copy photo tool? There's an insert image icon on the reply to post menu bar but you are saying there's a copy and paste tool somewhere else?

If the images are saved to your PC (assuming you're posting to the forum using your PC);

(1) Click the paperclip icon to the right of the smiley face. A pop-up window will open.

(2) In the pop-up window, click "choose file."

(3) Find the image file on your PC, select it and then click "upload" in the same pop-up window.

(3a) Repeat this for each image you want to attach.

(4) Once all of the images are attached/uploaded, return to your post, click the paperclip icon again and select "insert images."

Click the drop down for the "Paper Clip" and a dialog box opens.

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 4.02.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 4.02.12 PM.png

When you want to insert the image in your text, click the paper clip again.

Thanks for the photo tutorial. Easy enough. Never thought to try the paper clip (because it's so small that I didn't know it was a paper clip). Clicked on the insert image icon and went down the wrong trail from there.

Thanks again for the help.

Back