What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GEA24 placement

Mark Albery

Well Known Member
I will be going the G3X route, but haven't started the panel yet.

But I would like to complete the engine wiring, so have the GEA24 ready to install.

Could I ask for suggestions for the best placement that won't cause problems later (photos appreciated)?

TIA

Simple question, but lots of possible answers. I mounted mine on the subpanel right behind/forward of the PFD. My reasoning was that the GEA24 is dominated by sensor wiring coming through the firewall directly forward, so this location was the most direct. It really a matter of making room for all the boxes and what works for you.

Same place as Keith but I think you will need to plan for all peripherals that will go on the CAN bus so the length of the CAN bus be more manageable. There is a limit on the length and some planning ahead will go a long way.

As others have said, you will want to consider what other remote avionics you need to fit on the sub panel - that will partially inform your decision. Typically I see these munted on the cabin side of the subpanel, so you can access it through the hole the screen makes when removed. There will be a bundle of shielded and thermocouple wires to run from the GEA through the firewall, but the GEA also interfaces with the rest of the system through the canbus so its helpful if it's grouped with the rest of your other remote avionics to reduce canbus length. You could plan on a general area - say the pilot side, and make sure you leave enough length from the engines harnesses to give you some serviceability and installation flexibility. If you have a decent idea of what other avionics you plan on installing SteinAir actually sells some acrylic LRU cutouts that you can use to mock everything up.

Here are some pictures of my initial install. I made a tray for the GEA-24 in the opening for the glove-box. Facing forward, it sits on the right side over the remote transponder shelf, which I also fabricated. The connectors face aft but the box could be easily turned around. I wanted the connectors accessible. Just had to make sure it didn’t interfere with the back of the display. The GAD-29 ARINC adapter is just to the left of it on the sub-panel.

When deciding where to put things, consider where the canopy frame meets the sub-panel when you close it. I was surprised how much space it covers and had to move a couple of boxes during my planning process. I don’t think exact placement is critical as long as it’s accessible for maintenance. My plane won’t win any awards for the attractiveness of the avionics installation but it works and I know what’s what under the hood.

The picture with the ELT “orange box” shows the stand-off I made for the GTR20 remote comm. It’s in the far lower left part of the picture and is a couple of pieces of aluminum angle riveted together with some nut plates for the mounting screws. It sits over the regulator for the standby alternator which is mounted against the sub panel. You can also see the connector for the GAD27 which is mounted against the sub panel. Wish I had a better picture.

Someone recently pointed out the fact that the two existing firewall holes are not adequate for the amount of sensor and other wiring that needs to penetrate the firewall. Where you add other firewall holes may affect where ultimately place the Garmin boxes. All part of the fun of the project.

The last picture is so you can see how things are laid out on the important side of the panel. And because it’s awesome!! :D

Edit: The poster just above me (Josh) did my panel and harnesses. Listen to him…he knows his stuff. Yay Josh!!

Attachments

• 169745A6-201D-4C49-A668-577E68FD3E9F.jpeg
    169745A6-201D-4C49-A668-577E68FD3E9F.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 276
  • 827BB609-D28D-4A12-B8F9-625C73817C52.jpeg
    827BB609-D28D-4A12-B8F9-625C73817C52.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 865D0D50-2D9A-40A1-9EA5-4BA4FB789402.jpeg
    865D0D50-2D9A-40A1-9EA5-4BA4FB789402.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 269
  • 0A7EF62A-F281-4738-B114-C8F06333E5AA.jpeg
    0A7EF62A-F281-4738-B114-C8F06333E5AA.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 277
  • 8EB60877-2B58-43CF-9ADC-E3AF6AE556DA.jpg
    8EB60877-2B58-43CF-9ADC-E3AF6AE556DA.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
SteinAir can provide you clear plastic templates for laying out your sub-panel which I found very useful.

Back