What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Frame Fit

vomatic

Can anyone offer some guidance on fitting the canopy frame? Specifically, the gap between the canopy frame and roll bar?

I have my canopy frame installed with the anchor pin centered properly. When I close the canopy with the frame rollers all the way to the front (not on the roll bar frame) I have a 1/4" larger gap between the frame and the roll bar on the right side than I do on the left.

The left side gap is about 3/16" and the right side is about 3/8" to 1/2". I was planning on cutting my canopy today, but after looking at this I am not comfortable with that much difference between the two sides.

I tried to apply a little "muscle power" to the situation, but based on the geometry of the frame, that is a pretty difficult adjustment to make.

Is a gap of that size acceptable? Does anyone have a suggestion how to fix it? I appreciate anyone's input.

I had a similar issue when first fitting up my frame. I bent the frame to fix this - the basic procedure is to make a jig that clamps the forward canopy bow in place, and then pull the back end of the canopy sideways. This took an enormous amount of force, but it got the job done.

To visualize which direction to bend, detach the aft end of the canopy from the center rail and slide it fully forward. In your case, moving the aft end to the right will tend to open the left gap and close the right one. So you'll want to bend the aft end to the left in order to bring it back in line with the center rail.

https://rv.squawk1200.net/2021/10/31/canopy-frame-straightening/

Thanks for the input. You both came up with the two options I've been thinking through. I've tried to bend it and thought through your jig idea Philip. As you pointed out, bending this is no simple task. I could not budge it with two guys standing on it last night. I mainly wanted to confirm others have had the same issue. Now I need to figure out which option to pursue. I appreciate your help.

Thanks for the input. You both came up with the two options I've been thinking through. I've tried to bend it and thought through your jig idea Philip. As you pointed out, bending this is no simple task. I could not budge it with two guys standing on it last night. I mainly wanted to confirm others have had the same issue. Now I need to figure out which option to pursue. I appreciate your help.

Yeah, to my recollection I used a 3" heavy-duty ratchet strap for the bending - the kind normally used to tie down a car on a trailer. And I think I was using a pair of pliers to get better leverage on the ratchet. It was frankly a little scary.

Back