What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

scammer reporting

What's the process to finding out if a long time member here is scamming others? He's had more than enough time to contact me after I paid over a week ago (25 AUG) and he has contacted another buyer, but hasn't actually sent anything that was paid for by us.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=219771

I just read on paypal they protect against scams or problems like this, WTH, is there website saying you are protected but actually you are not protected from losing money? I am about to send a member thats been here registered since 2020 but only posted 5 times, pay him $1200. for a mini EFIS and thought paypal was the way to go…. https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=219909

His post looks honest and seems sincere.. but after reading your story I am balking at using paypal or trusting anyone

Last edited:
I just read on paypal they protect against scams or problems like this, WTH, is there website saying you are protected but actually you are not protected from losing money? I am about to send a member thats been here registered since 2020 but only posted 5 times, pay him $1200. for a mini EFIS and thought paypal was the way to go…. https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=219909

His post looks honest and seems sincere.. but after reading your story I am balking at using paypal or trusting anyone

Have you read “How Not to Get Scammed” : https://vansairforce.net/UsingTheClassifiedsSuggestions.htm

If you haven’t followed these steps, you’re taking risks on your own….

If you use Paypal Goods and Services you are supposed to be protected. You can also file a fraud dispute on the credit card to use with paypal. DO NOT USE FRIENDS AND FAMILY unless you are sure the guy is OK.

Regular Paypal is fully protected like a credit card purchase for both the buyer and the seller. However, there is a fee to the seller.
Paypal friends and family offers no protection and has no fee to either the sender or recipient if you fund the transaction from a Paypal balance or your bank account. It was intended for transferring money, to, well friends and family. http://https://www.paypal.com/us/csh...yments-help277 This is how I pay my pet sitter but I would never buy or sell something long distance with this.

Beware of anyone requesting payment by Paypal friends and family ( as opposed to Paypal), Venmo or other cash equivalent means as it is a good indication of a scam.

I deleted the rvkits14 and gibbsquintarius accounts. Thanks for the heads up.
v/r,dr

If you haven’t followed these steps, you’re taking risks on your own….

I paid Paypal using the email given to me through the forum member's PM here and Paypal showed his name, so the hacker would have had to hack his email, his forum account, and Paypal.

Could a moderator or Doug check if the forum member's actual email used to sign into the forum is the same email given to me through the forum PMs? This way I would know if the member was hacked or not. [ed. if you contact me on that one person I can probably do it. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are referring to me, my package was on the porch when I returned home today.

Joe

Awesome news, just read your PM too. I called home and my neighbor found a package and sent me a picture. It was the gizmo mount. I wonder why he wouldn't just reply to any of my emails? Oh well, at least we didn't lose our money !

Scammer

Just a heads up to be aware of scammer going by name of Dave Clark (how original) on here and has been successful on other sites.

Just a heads up to be aware of scammer going by name of Dave Clark (how original) on here and has been successful on other sites.
I had the same issue with this person - David Clarke. I replied to the add below, actually sent money (I know, how foolish) and haven't received the item nor received any replies to my emails. The person's email is: [email protected]

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=222084

I have purchased many items from members who advertised in the classified section of VansAirForce.net but this is the first time I've been scammed.
Shot down in flames!!!

Looks like 720-468-0722 is still at it trying to scam people, claiming to be in Iowa. Who gives prop times like that? Was pretty obvious to me from the initial message. Always be skeptical and do a google search of anyones number who contacts you about parts! My google search brought me right back to this thread!

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Got a scammer contacting me about some parts I'm looking for that's a post here and on barnstormers. Number is 707-497-7621. Caller ID is a Brian McCaughey who is a real person that passed away summer of 2023. Uses all the typical scammer tactics. Urgent, has just what I needed, but was just gonna throw it out, never said name, can't send pics, gets angry when I ask for proof, cashapp only, etc. Also reported to Barnstormers.

Another new member scammer, sending private messages in response to classified ads. Very typical format where they want you reach out to an unrelated email address that they control.

Attachments

• IMG_0570.png
    IMG_0570.png
    432.5 KB · Views: 139
Another new member scammer, sending private messages in response to classified ads. Very typical format where they want you reach out to an unrelated email address that they control.
Same person reached out to me for my want to buy for a lycoming crankshaft.

Username “pilli dan” sent me a PM for a potential seller of a crankshaft at [email protected].

Clearly a scam as he sent me photos with Gibson Aviation business cards in them from eBay and clearly didn’t even know what a crankshaft was.

I deleted the user pills dan. dr

I just want to say thanks to everyone that has posted about a scam encounter they have experienced. It's hard to do when you are a bit embarrassed, being the sammed.

It prompted me to be extra diligent with a recent purchase I am making. An individual posted an item for sale here on VAF, and it was their first post. Of course, that was very suspicious. I started a conversation with them on VAF, and then email. They provided a bunch of pictures, and when I wanted specific pictures of parts, they too were sent. They provided a very plausible story for why they are selling the parts, and was clearly knowledgeable about what they had. The hard part, they are in New Zealand. I was conflicted about how to make the transaction. At first we talked about using a trusted 3rd party, but how to arrange that? As we discussed some more, he offered up making the exchange when he next visits some family here in the States. As it turns out he works for an air carrier, and gets staff transport. We have worked out a day to meet in Chicago, which is about a 4.5 hour drive for me. I'm telling this story, because it was so tempting to just send the money as I think it's a fare price, and he provided so much info and pictures. He clearly has the parts. However, you never know, and I think the 4.5 hour drive (one way) is well worth my time to meet this individual for the exchange. Besides, I don't know any Kiwi's. That would be a trip to added to the bucket list.

I just want to say thanks to everyone that has posted about a scam encounter they have experienced. It's hard to do when you are a bit embarrassed, being the sammed.

It prompted me to be extra diligent with a recent purchase I am making. An individual posted an item for sale here on VAF, and it was their first post. Of course, that was very suspicious. I started a conversation with them on VAF, and then email. They provided a bunch of pictures, and when I wanted specific pictures of parts, they too were sent. They provided a very plausible story for why they are selling the parts, and was clearly knowledgeable about what they had. The hard part, they are in New Zealand. I was conflicted about how to make the transaction. At first we talked about using a trusted 3rd party, but how to arrange that? As we discussed some more, he offered up making the exchange when he next visits some family here in the States. As it turns out he works for an air carrier, and gets staff transport. We have worked out a day to meet in Chicago, which is about a 4.5 hour drive for me. I'm telling this story, because it was so tempting to just send the money as I think it's a fare price, and he provided so much info and pictures. He clearly has the parts. However, you never know, and I think the 4.5 hour drive (one way) is well worth my time to meet this individual for the exchange. Besides, I don't know any Kiwi's. That would be a trip to added to the bucket list.
Good chance it's legit, and you'll make a new friend as well as get the parts you want. Sometimes it works out.

Scam Alert!
There is a "Steve Tat" that just PM'd me regarding my WTB ad with the "I just purchased HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497-2 from olderthandirt, email me at..." His profile says he just joined this morning at 2:45.

Ed: I locked down that person‘s account. If they reach out privately, and can prove to me that they are who they are, I will reconsider. Thank you for the heads up! dr

Scam Alert!
There is a "Steve Tat" that just PM'd me regarding my WTB ad with the "I just purchased HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497-2 from olderthandirt, email me at..." His profile says he just joined this morning at 2:45.

Ed: I locked down that person‘s account. If they reach out privately, and can prove to me that they are who they are, I will reconsider. Thank you for the heads up! dr
I got a message from them as well
DR has been notified
Steve Tat’ ip address will likely be banned shortly 👏🏻

Pro Tip: If a buyer/seller won't FaceTime with you holding the item, consider them a scammer.
I was contacted by a "Steve Tat" on Monday about a WTB message I posted looking for a CHT gauge. Mr. Tat wrote the he had a friend who had one for sale who was said to be George Cartman at [email protected] ... I corresponded with Mr. Cartman off List, but he couldn't agree with himself about how to sell his own name (among other things,) so I cut off further communications. Looking back on it, I shouldn't have gone off line with a complete stranger. SJS

I was contacted by a "Steve Tat" on Monday about a WTB message I posted looking for a CHT gauge. Mr. Tat wrote the he had a friend who had one for sale who was said to be George Cartman at [email protected] ... I corresponded with Mr. Cartman off List, but he couldn't agree with himself about how to sell his own name (among other things,) so I cut off further communications. Looking back on it, I shouldn't have gone off line with a complete stranger. SI was contacted by the same guy recommending I email the geirgecartman71

I was contacted by the same guy recommending I talk to georgecartman71, email him, about a prop. At first he did not know any of the specs on the prop. When I told him I was not buying one without knowing what it is, he came up with some spec and now magicly had both a three blade and a two blade. He would only accept Friends and Family on PayPal. He can’t give me a serial number and no pictures.

This campaign of a very terse message indicating the person knows someone else by first name only and asks the victim to email an obviously unrelated and likely compromised outside email address has been recurrent on VAF and other aviation forums for several years. It has the markings of a single actor or a small group of actors targeting this population because we are a niche that deals with high value assets and are generally speaking older gentlemen with less experience with modern online communication (no offense implied).

Always assume someone online is trying to take advantage of you unless proven otherwise. Stay safe.

Always assume someone online is trying to take advantage of you unless proven otherwise. Stay safe.
Yep. And most people in the aviation community are very trusting, which works against us in the world of scammers. Check out and share this info to your friends and family:

I got an email from this guy “Samuel Jolly” whi us clearly scammer.

This is what is “selling”

GMA340 Audio Panel $500

Aero-Tow Tug $700 Sold pending funds

HALO Headset $150

Children's Headsets (3) free for every item you buy

Davtron CA-MB800 yoke crono, NIB $150

Garmin 275 EIS w/ GEA 24 $3000

stratus 2s $200

Lightspeed Zulu Headset $300

Garmin GMA345 audio panel $800

Bose headset $350

Price includes shipping

Beware…😬

If you have more than one email address, check the address notices are sent to.

Someone set up a fake account today on ebay using my gmail address and the privacy notice was of course sent to my gmail account. My gmail account is personal only and not commercial use.

To keep this RV related, I recently bought a used Garmin GPS antenna on ebay. I reviewed my account and everything ok there.

GMA340 Audio Panel $500

HALO Headset $150

stratus 2s $200

Bose headset $350

Price includes shipping

Beware…😬
Yep, He got me for a chuck of money. Still trying to figure out a way to find him. I would travel a long distance to, well, just say hello, to him.

GMA340 Audio Panel $500

HALO Headset $150

stratus 2s $200

Bose headset $350

Price includes shipping

Beware…😬
But, but look at this deal - "Children's Headsets (3) free for every item you buy" We don't have children, but "FREE" headsets! Wow....

FYI Steve Tat may be back with a new account william robby...got another scam this morning...

View attachment 58477

View attachment 58478
I locked down that account. If the user can convince me he’s legit, I’ll gladly reopen it.

I reiterate again to anyone using the classifieds on any website. If the buyer and seller aren’t willing to talk to each other, face-to-face, using FaceTime or zoom, you would be wise to not send any more money than you’re willing to lose

Another scammer: [email protected] Goes by the VAF user:

william robby

[ed. That account was locked down earlier today. You should treat EVERY person that emails you or private messages you regarding anything classified related (on ANY website) as a potential scammer. Demand FaceTime or Zoom meeting with them holding the product. v/r,dr]

Another for the list:

New member (fishing scammer) “William Robby”, referred me to a long time member , but only to members offline email address.

Attachments

• IMG_1417.png
    IMG_1417.png
    436.4 KB · Views: 33
I posted a "wanted hangar" ad a day or so ago and received the following in my "conversations" folder. The "member" that sent to me was Trent mark. I reported to admin. [ed. Trent Mark account deleted. v/r,dr]

Hello,

I recently purchase some items from Andylaser, Hangar is among the items he's willing to part out with. You can email him at [email protected] if he still have it available.

Thanks

If " Andy" is parting out a hangar, I'd be in line for a polished concrete floor and all the insulation. Advise shipping charges, please. 🤡

Trent Mark is now Trent mark. He sent this on my WTB wing nut clecos post: [ed. There is no Trent mark or Trent Mark accounts on VAF now. Did he email you? v/r,dr]

“Hello,

I recently purchase some items from Andylaser,3/32” wing nut clecos is among the items he's willing to part out with. You can email him at [email protected] if he still have it available.”

Andrew Boo just sent me an email that he will sell me these for $100 each.
“I’ll work on the shipment right away.
i have 2.
I’m asking $100 for each, Let me know how much you’re willing to offer so we can deal.”

Carl

Trent Mark is now Trent mark. He sent this on my WTB wing nut clecos post: [ed. There is no Trent mark or Trent Mark accounts on VAF now. Did he email you? v/r,dr]

“Hello,

I recently purchase some items from Andylaser,3/32” wing nut clecos is among the items he's willing to part out with. You can email him at [email protected] if he still have it available.”

i have 2.
I’m asking $100 for each, Let me know how much you’re willing to offer so we can deal.”

Carl
Yes. Trent mark sent me a pm

Carl

Yes. Trent mark sent me a pm

Carl
I got

“Hello,

i have 2.

Carl

I got the same email regarding a cowling. Referred to Andrew Boo. Total scam. William Robbie is sending the emails now.

Back