What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Autopilot Pitch Servo Harness routing & Aft Battery

MartinACFactory

Well Known Member
Hello RVers,

I am currently planning the routing of all Electric & Avionic harness routing inside my RV-8 fuselage.

I am mounting my battery in the aft fuselage. I also have a Garmin Autopilot Pitch servo mounted near the battery. I understand that I need to route the battery cable from aft fuselage to firewall along the structure under the fuselage, per Van's drawing. My concern is that I shall also route the pitch servo harness to dash panel along the same path. Could this large power cable and the servo harness be close relative to the other or they require some distance in between them to avoid magnetic disturbance.

Does anyone have pictures to share on how they did this installation on their RV-8 ?

Many thanks !

You'll be fine.
That big honkin' battery cable is mostly for starting. After that, the alternator is providing power for the ship.

The other option of course, is to put an EarthEx on the firewall.
The weight of that big battery cable to the rear location is not insignificant (but that is where mine is).

Use both sides of fuselage

Martin,
I passed my big 2AWG cables (I have distinct + and - cables) on the side.
Most of the rest of cables passing from rear to front are on the left side.
That includes trim, lights/strobes, ADAHRS, AP servo, radio, transponder, ELT, etc.

I'm in Neuville (CNV9), if I can help let me know?

Attachments

• IMG_5557.jpg
    IMG_5557.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_6352.jpg
    IMG_6352.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Hello RVers,

I am currently planning the routing of all Electric & Avionic harness routing inside my RV-8 fuselage.

I am mounting my battery in the aft fuselage. I also have a Garmin Autopilot Pitch servo mounted near the battery. I understand that I need to route the battery cable from aft fuselage to firewall along the structure under the fuselage, per Van's drawing. My concern is that I shall also route the pitch servo harness to dash panel along the same path. Could this large power cable and the servo harness be close relative to the other or they require some distance in between them to avoid magnetic disturbance.

Does anyone have pictures to share on how they did this installation on their RV-8 ?

Many thanks !

I don't have the rear mounted battery on my RV8. But have you considered running wires on the left side and right side on your airplane? I ran wires on both sides of my airplane. On mine, I run most of the wires on the right side. You can also run the big battery cable along the floor separately from the rest of the signal cables.

Any reason not to mount an earth x battery in the bottom of the forward baggage hold and put a cover over it so it still has some storage use? Especially if smoke oil tank not installed.

Seems it would be much easier to get to which seems to happen when you are not at home. :eek:

Aft mounted Concorde battery, Dynon pitch servo just behind the battery. ELT, strobe control box, flap and trim control boxes mounted on aft avionics shelf that I built. Wires bundled and routed on both sides of the fuselage with no issues whatsoever.

Attachments

• 463282D9-E3B3-40FD-B902-AC9190810A19.jpeg
    463282D9-E3B3-40FD-B902-AC9190810A19.jpeg
    446.8 KB · Views: 214
Best practice is to not mix signal wires with main power wires. It’s easier to keep them as separated as possible now then to get a squeal in you headset and have to redo it. Running CAN BUS 22 which the servo requires in a garmin set up will not do well next to that power wire.

Location of master contactor relay

The Master contactor should always be installed near the main battery. You want the ability to isolate the battery from the main wiring in case of a short or electrical problem. This helps prevent battery thermal runaway and possible fire in a location that you can’t reach in flight with a fire extinguisher.

Back