What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Curios about angle to parallel valve conversion

idubrov

Well Known Member
This classified got me curious. It says engine was converted from an angle valve to a parallel valve. Is that a thing? What exactly needs to be changed? Obviously, cylinders; possibly things around them like intake tubes, etc. What else? What about the connecting rods, the crankshaft and the camshaft?

I don't know much about engines / Lycomings, but I thought that angle valves have different crankcases?

I'm sure someone with more knowledge and experience than I will chime in.
However, I have overhauled an angle valve and done a top overhaul of a parallel valve so I have a little bit to offer to the discussion. Off the top of my head, the major differences are:
-counter-weighted crank on AV
-sump and intakes
-pistons (AV are slightly higher at 8.7:1 iirc)
-cylinders. They are quite different under the rocker covers.
-piston squirters
-I believe the cases are different
-don't know about rods but I bet they are different given the extra stress 20 HP adds
-don't know about cam but I bet it's different to take advantage of what I assume to be larger valves flowing more air
I would bet that the Barret conversion is legit as far as functionality. In other words, I doubt it will Chernobyl...
The major comment I would make is that the IO-360 Angle valve on my -7A seemed to be loafing to make its 200 HP. It was very happy burning mogas and the CHT's always ran cool. Once I moved up one oil cooler size over the stock vans unit I had to work hard to get the oil temp over 200 degrees.
By contrast, any PV making 200 hp is working pretty hard. I'm curious about the 200 hp claim. I don't think that cold air induction and 10:1 pistons will net 20 hp. The IO-370 only gets to 195 and it enjoys increased displacement.
Of course, extra weight is extra weight. In my -7A the extra weight up front was a plus.
I'm really looking forward to the posts by the experts.

Last edited:
Engine

The mix of components probably started in the aerobatic community with the desire for constant speed configuration with front mounted governor. Angle valve crankcase from Seneca I engine with cylinders and internals from parallel valve 360.
With a fixed pitch prop a hot rod parallel valve 360 turning 3300 rpm is probably producing around 220 hp.

Back