What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 28 & OP62 - but don't know what engine yet!

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi Brains Trust,

I am rapidly coming up to Section 28 - Lower Forward Fuselage. OP62 (EXP119 Install) requires a few holes in the side tunnel to lower skin be used for nutplates, instead of rivets (as an example).

I don't know which engine i will be going with at this stage however!

I am thinking maybe EFII meaning it would not be the EXP119, however i could always go with the 4 into 2 exhaust? Too many choices!

Anyway, the question is - do i need to consider the changes for OP62 at this point in Section 28? Or can these be done fairly easily after?

Is there any part of OP62 which would be way harder to do later, which i should consider doing now, despite not knowing what engine i will go with?

Thanks in advance for opinions on how to proceed.

All off it could be done later but there are a few things that come to mind that would-be easier now. There is an extra firewall pass through that would be easier to drill prior to the engine going in. I would also put the nut plates in on the floor that the tunnel cover attaches to. Connecting the cooling flap cable to the flap would be easier prior to engine install. I did all of the above after the fact so it is doable.

Keep in mind the finish kit is different with the EXP option and obviously the FWF kit.

I am sure others will suggest additional ideas.

I think if you build it as a -119 variant, then that’ll give you the option to go whichever direction you ultimately decide to go. I ordered my kit as if it were going to be a -119, but mine is actually a hybrid….kind of a homemade -119.

I new that I was going to go with one of the EFI variants, so I ordered my engine without an ignition or fuel injection system. I also didn’t want to pay the ridiculous high price of the Lycoming cold air induction, so I ordered it with the standard intake/sump and I’m installing a Superior cold air induction on it. I also decided to go with Clint’s (Vettermans) trombone exhaust rather than the Vans crossover.

Lastly, you’ll need to decide what compression ratio you want. I went with the slightly lower 8.9:1 C/R because I’m planning on running car gas the majority of the time. If you’re thinking about an SDS or EFII system, (which I think is a great idea) one of the beauties is that they’re 100 % auto fuel compatible….with or without ethanol. So, when thinking about an engine choice and configuration you may want to build it so that you at least have the option to run car gas. If you have your engine built with the high compression 10:1’s, you’ll limit yourself to only being able to run AvGas.

All off it could be done later but there are a few things that come to mind that would-be easier now. There is an extra firewall pass through that would be easier to drill prior to the engine going in. I would also put the nut plates in on the floor that the tunnel cover attaches to. Connecting the cooling flap cable to the flap would be easier prior to engine install. I did all of the above after the fact so it is doable.

Keep in mind the finish kit is different with the EXP option and obviously the FWF kit.

I am sure others will suggest additional ideas.

+1. I did mine after the fact and it is doable, but adds a lot more new words to your vocabulary (not a bad thing, in my case). If you are going with four into two, do the cowl flap now, and attach the cable. Also, close off the co-pilot heater box before the engine is on there. Impossible afterwards unless you glue it on with Proseal, like I did.

……..Also, close off the co-pilot heater box before the engine is on there. Impossible afterwards unless you glue it on with Proseal, like I did.

What do you mean when you say “close off the co-pilot heater box”??

What do you mean when you say “close off the co-pilot heater box”??

There is a cover plate that covers the bottom of the co-pilots heater box. It is installed to stop hot air from escaping out the bottom of the heater box when the co-pilots vent is closed or partially closed. Without this very little air would make it to the pilots side.

I did not realize that this is a modification for the EXP only.

I installed this cover plate after the engine was installed and had no problem doing so on a taildragger motor mount. I believe there is more room with the taildragger engine mount in this area.

I think if you build it as a -119 variant, then that’ll give you the option to go whichever direction you ultimately decide to go. I ordered my kit as if it were going to be a -119, but mine is actually a hybrid….kind of a homemade -119.

I new that I was going to go with one of the EFI variants, so I ordered my engine without an ignition or fuel injection system. I also didn’t want to pay the ridiculous high price of the Lycoming cold air induction, so I ordered it with the standard intake/sump and I’m installing a Superior cold air induction on it. I also decided to go with Clint’s (Vettermans) trombone exhaust rather than the Vans crossover.

Lastly, you’ll need to decide what compression ratio you want. I went with the slightly lower 8.9:1 C/R because I’m planning on running car gas the majority of the time. If you’re thinking about an SDS or EFII system, (which I think is a great idea) one of the beauties is that they’re 100 % auto fuel compatible….with or without ethanol. So, when thinking about an engine choice and configuration you may want to build it so that you at least have the option to run car gas. If you have your engine built with the high compression 10:1’s, you’ll limit yourself to only being able to run AvGas.

Question:

I will be deciding on C/R soon for my T-Bolt. If I am using SDS EFI and have programmable timing, Shouldn't I be able to run the 10:1 higher compression with the different fuels and still be safe concerning detonation margins? I would like to have the higher compression ratio especially at the higher cruise altitudes.

Back