What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

catto vs constant speed

The Argument Continues!

3 point or wheel landings? Fuel injection or carburettor? Which primer, if any? Slider or tip-up? High wing or low wing? Nope, I’m not getting into this one, but I love my Catto. MikeS, great write-up! I’ve taped a (very) few propellers for customers, never heard of any performance differences but have to admit, they were wood props on little Continentals. I did notice that the tape is not exactly forever. Catto will add nickel (not stainless) to their leading edges for a price and I think that’s about the best choice available for folks who fly in the drippies. Our prop does not have nickel and Craig ( great guy!) says to reduce RPM in the rain. I’m strictly a VFR guy although I’ve still been caught in rain. We flew at about 2000 revs when we were in it and had no problems. Our airplane originally had a vintage Warnke Almost Constant Speed with urethane leading edges. It appeared that it had been refinished at some point and the finish was beat up but the urethane had held up pretty well. Anyway, lots of options, no clear winner for everybody. Ya gotta do your own choices here.

Last edited:
Back