What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR 200B trouble MESSAGE

GatorsR1

Well Known Member
Patron
During PTT transmissions, occasionally I notice the following message on the GTR screen:
REDUCED TX POWER - LOW VOLTS
The GARMIN Pilots Guide says that is due to :
Transmit power reduced because input voltage is too low.

Has anyone else been similarly afflicted, discovered the source of the problem and/or have any ideas?

Happened to me once, due to having the alternator switch off (ie running on battery). I would check your bus voltage and alternator output, going to your voltage regulator. In other words, the error message is accurate, the radio is seeing a reduced voltage, for reasons you need to discover.

GTR Message

During PTT transmissions, occasionally I notice the following message on the GTR screen:
REDUCED TX POWER - LOW VOLTS
The GARMIN Pilots Guide says that is due to :
Transmit power reduced because input voltage is too low.

Has anyone else been similarly afflicted, discovered the source of the problem and/or have any ideas?

This message means the radio is not seeing proper voltage on its power input. This is an installation related issue. It can even be caused by not using sufficient AWG wire to power the unit.

Thanks,

Justin

If the radio worked before (as in this is a new problem), the first thing to check is the power connection on the associated circuit breaker. A loose screw can provide enough current to work when in receive mode, but not enough for transmit (as reflected by your error message).

Carl

Thanks for the replies.
I'll break out the wiring diagram and multi-meter to check voltages at power providing locations for the radio (and ground continuity for good measure).
I'm leaning towards it being a connection issue since it's intermittent and I had a couple of issues at the trim & a/p servo (based on my poor pin crimping & connector workmanship).

Back