What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3x Touch: Flight instruments on MFD

Brian Perry

I have a twin 10.6" screen G3x Touch setup with the left side configured as PFD1 and the right side configured as MFD1. I have seen others with the flight instruments displayed in split screen on the right side screen, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do this. When I hit the "split" soft key on the MFD, the screen splits into two of the choices that I already had available on the full screen MFD (Map, Charts, FPL, Wx, Terrain, Traffic, VPX, Info, Eng.).

I have looked at all the manuals to try to find this function but am probably missing something obvious. Let me know what I am missing.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 368
Brian,

From the main screen on the MFD, hit Menu, Menu. Select Setup. Select Display. MFD Split Screen = PFD

Hope this helps!

It's "easy"

You need to run a single wire.

It is Pin 25 on the MFD display, standard Dsub female socket. Run this pin to a SPST switch and from the switch to Ground.

When you ground pin 25, it forces the MFD to display the PFD data, much like if you had a loss of PFD1.

Works great.

It IS in the manual, I will see if I can get you a page number...

Section 24.4.6

"A GDU 4XX can also be manually placed in reversionary mode by wiring Pin 25 to a two pole switch that toggles between open and ground. When the switch is open, the display will operate normally. When the switch is grounded, the display changes to reversionary mode. Other displays in the system will not be affected by manually placing a display into reversionary mode. See the G3X Touch Pilot's Guide for further information about reversionary mode..."

I just did this.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I will try the simpler solution from Eric first. If this doesn't work then I will consider adding the reversionary mode switch.

Both my son and I are pilots and I would like to have the flight instruments display on the right side when we are flying together, even if only in half screen format.

Last edited:
Brian,

From the main screen on the MFD, hit Menu, Menu. Select Setup. Select Display. MFD Split Screen = PFD

Hope this helps!

I had to figure this out on my 7" portraits. Figured it out by accident, not sure I could go back in there and change it back easily. lol

If you have the same setup

I found that the only way I could get the PFD to display on BOTH sides, was to wire the reversion switch in...took about 45 minutes...

Brian,

Hope this helps!

I’ve done it this way on my 7” display. Touch one place on screen to toggle to PFD. No wires to run.

Attachments

• 87DDB233-CBD0-40E4-913F-7FF1DFBFBA50.jpg
    87DDB233-CBD0-40E4-913F-7FF1DFBFBA50.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 309
  • AD01D5DD-11BC-4841-AA2F-164D96DADC51.jpg
    AD01D5DD-11BC-4841-AA2F-164D96DADC51.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
I do mine like E Rushing does. Menu twice, select setup, then display. you be given the choice PFD or MFD. Select PFD. easy peasy

MFD Display Options

I have a twin 10.6" screen G3x Touch setup with the left side configured as PFD1 and the right side configured as MFD1. I have seen others with the flight instruments displayed in split screen on the right side screen, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do this. When I hit the "split" soft key on the MFD, the screen splits into two of the choices that I already had available on the full screen MFD (Map, Charts, FPL, Wx, Terrain, Traffic, VPX, Info, Eng.).

I have looked at all the manuals to try to find this function but am probably missing something obvious. Let me know what I am missing.

Hi Brian,

There is a shortcut to select what you have displayed in split screen mode on the MFD. Touch the horizontal menu on the bottom of your MFD screen, and the page navigator will populate, select MFD Split Screen. You will be given 3 options, Map, En Route Charts, and PFD. Select PFD to display the flight instruments in split screen mode.

MFDMENU-X2.jpg

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Justin! I knew I was missing something easy. I will get out to the hangar this weekend and get it set up.

Can the PFD be shown on the right side and map on the left side using split screen on a single GDU460?

You need to run a single wire.

It is Pin 25 on the MFD display, standard Dsub female socket. Run this pin to a SPST switch and from the switch to Ground.

When you ground pin 25, it forces the MFD to display the PFD data, much like if you had a loss of PFD1...

..."A GDU 4XX can also be manually placed in reversionary mode by wiring Pin 25 to a two pole switch that toggles between open and ground. When the switch is open, the display will operate normally. When the switch is grounded, the display changes to reversionary mode. Other displays in the system will not be affected by manually placing a display into reversionary mode. See the G3X Touch Pilot's Guide for further information about reversionary mode..."[/I][/B]

I just did this.

The G3X Pilot's Guide states "In the event of a display failure, the G3X Touch System automatically switches to reversionary (backup) mode. In reversionary mode, the information is represented on the remaining display in the split-screen configuration."

So reversionary mode is automatic in the event of a screen failure. Earlier posts in this thread suggest several menu options to manually display the PFD information on the alternate screen.

Can someone please clarify the benefit of installing a dedicated "Reversionary Mode" panel switch as Rocketman1988 describes above?

Can the PFD be shown on the right side and map on the left side using split screen on a single GDU460?

Curious about this as well.

Last edited:
The G3X Pilot's Guide states "In the event of a display failure, the G3X Touch System automatically switches to reversionary (backup) mode. In reversionary mode, the information is represented on the remaining display in the split-screen configuration."

That assumes that the system knows about the failure. I presume that some failure modes may prevent the display of data without the system seeing it as a failure; A failed display backlight probably fits that scenario.

Yes, easily.

So reversionary mode is automatic in the event of a screen failure. Earlier posts in this thread suggest several menu options to manually display the PFD information on the alternate screen.

Can someone please clarify the benefit of installing a dedicated "Reversionary Mode" panel switch as Rocketman1988 describes above?

You could install such a switch if you were concerned about some theoretical failure of the display's automatic ability to go to reversionary mode. Otherwise, the only real advantage of a reversionary switch for a 10.6" GDU 46x display is if you insist on occasionally having a full-screen depiction of flight instruments on your MFD. If you are happy with the split-screen PFD/MFD layout on your MFD display, there's no real reason to install a switch.

Or

Yes, easily.

You could install such a switch if you were concerned about some theoretical failure of the display's automatic ability to go to reversionary mode. Otherwise, the only real advantage of a reversionary switch for a 10.6" GDU 46x display is if you insist on occasionally having a full-screen depiction of flight instruments on your MFD. If you are happy with the split-screen PFD/MFD layout on your MFD display, there's no real reason to install a switch.

Unless you want the PFD to display, at will, on both displays. I do this pretty much all the time when I am flying from the right seat.

Thanks for the information.

For an extra wire and the panel real estate of one additional switch, I don't really see a downside to installing a reversionary switch.

I don’t know and don’t have a reversion wire, but you might lose the ability to configure the two screens independently with reversion hardwired on. I’ve considered a switchable reversion mode, don’t know the benefits except, as pointed out, full screen PFD.

I have engine and PFD on both screens, and independent MFDs on the inboard side of each screen. Very useful! I found it a useful exercise to sit in the plane snd explore the menu systems— don’t get me started on the manuals.

If your PFD goes offline, the MFD will automatically switch into reversionary mode to provide critical flight information, including the attitude and air data instruments, as well as other important information that may not be normally assigned to your MFD, per your configuration at install. As an example, If your EIS strip is selected to be displayed on the PFD, the EIS strip will automatically begin displaying on the MFD when reversionary mode becomes active.

The dedicated reversionary mode switch simply allows you to force your MFD into reversionary mode, in the absence of a PFD failure.

Thanks,

Justin

Partial panel

When a check pilot covers up the PFD it is only a flip of the reversion switch to put everything on the MFD. Easy way to cope with simulated partial panel.

Back