What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight and Balance RV-10

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
Just curious if anyone would share their empty weight CG as well as actual weights at each location.

Thanks,

Pat

My C.G. was 106.92 Nose wheel 378 Right Main 637 and Left Main 638 Total Empty Weight was 1653 Flew great

My aircraft came out like this:

Right Main 613
Left Main 640
Nose 366
Total = 1619 for a CG of 107.58

I have no idea why the left main is so much heavier than the right main.

I will probably weigh it again next weekend and swap the left and right scales.

Pat

Maybe double check that you are level laterally & yeah, swap scales.
I'm waiting on scales now, so I'll post my weights in a week or so.

On N9900M

Pat;

Left Main - 124.31 630lbs
Rt. Main -- 124.44 635lbs
Nose ----- 50.44 353lbs

1618lbs

Take Care,

Ron

My aircraft came out like this:

Right Main 613
Left Main 640
Nose 366
Total = 1619 for a CG of 107.58

I will probably weigh it again next weekend and swap the left and right scales.

Pat

Does the heavy wing have a servo and electronic trim?

STARKEY'S RV-10 N210LM
WEIGHT AND BALANCE CALCULATOR

SAMPLE RV-10 Allowable CG Range - 107.84 through 116.24
Gross Weight Limits - 2,700 lbs. (Van's design numbers)

Determining empty CG
Weight Arm Moment CG
Right Wheel 636 124.44 79,144
Left Wheel 646 124.31 80,304
Nose Wheel 348 50.44 17,553

Total 1630 177,001 108.5897055

THE HEAVY LEFT WING DOES HAVE BOTH THE AUTOPILOT SERVO AND THE AILERON TRIM SYSTEM IN IT HOWEVER I DON'T SEE HOW THAT COULD MAKE THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE. I DID LEVEL THE AIRCRAFT FORWARD AND AFT BUT DID NOT CHECK IT RIGHT TO LEFT. NEXT WEEKEND I WILL CHECK THE RIGHT TO LEFT LEVEL AND RE-WEIGH IT. I WILL POST THE RESULTS. THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK.

PAT

Just weighed mine

Just weighed N518RV on Saturday:

1704 lbs total with all fairings, full interior, and soundproofing. Oink oink piggy!

Left main 663 lbs
Right Main 663 lbs
Nose 378 lbs.
CG 107.97

Eric Kallio

adding to database

Weighed mine today, looked forward to this for a long time. 1563 lbs, which includes all fairings, interior accoutrements, and oil. No paint yet.

left main = 605
right main = 607.5
nose = 350.5

CG = 106.9" aft of datum

This airplane is about as stock as can be. No special weight savings measures, but not many extras either.

One surprise was that I took the time to measure the position of the wheels relative to the wing leading edge, and when comparing my numbers to the arms provided by Van's, mine are 3/4 - 1" different. These measurements are difficult to do accurately, but I believe my numbers are within an 1/8 or so. I know some folks just use the Van's provided arms, beware that the real arms for the gear on your plane may be different.

Another Oink

363 nose
662 left
668 right
1692 total 108.56

I did the paint and primer, must have put too much in the tail :)
Good news is after 3.3 hr, no shimmy at high speeds, no heavy wings, and lands fine without any weight in the back solo.

Andy,

Would you mind sharing what engine you have and a few details about your interior? Did you add any fabric panels, headliner, or carpet?

Thank you for sharing. It's great to get some real numbers about how differently equipped -10s weigh in.

David

Dave, I have the usual IO-540 and two blade Hartzel. My interior is Abby's Flightline seats, my own carpet cut to fit the floors, and paint. Avionics are a two screen G3X system, and all the stuff that goes with that (which is light). One PC 925 battery. Some primer, but mostly unprimed. Pretty standard and basic. There are reports of lighter RV-10s which has me scratching my head, as I don't know how I would lose any significant weight from mine without going to a different prop or battery setup.

Thanks Andy,

That sounds like a great setup to me. Lots of useful load for sure!

Would love to see pictures if you have any.

David

Generalization

Something tells me that the numbers posted here are probably not a representative sample. In other words, more folks with smaller waist lines are more likely to report. Those carrying a few extra lbs might be a bit embarrassed :rolleyes:

Maybe some of the bigger boys could post "the weight of their friends -10" ;)

I am (hopefully) going to weigh in next week and I already know I'm going to be a "big kahuna".

I've got A/C, sound proofing, and overhead and center consoles. Oh well, that's ok. 5 minutes later to arrive comfortably is just fine with me. If I build a 12 or an 8 I will focus on sveltness, but I specifically chose the 10 for comfort more than performance.

Here are the numbers for my -10 empty with 8 qts oil:

Right: 688
left: 685
Nose: 330
Total: 1703

CG: 109.64"

My engine is a little different than most. It is an IO-540 V4A5. Weighed with full Flightline Interiors interior package, overhead console, 3 screen G3X Garmin IP, dual PC 680's in the tail along with 2 master's, all fairings installed and painted. My main wheel datums were within 1/8" of Van's.

L= 665
R= 660
N= 333

EW= 1658

Datum= wing leading edge(easier to take measurements from).

Both main wheel centers 24" aft of wing leading edge.

Nose wheel center -46.9" forward of wing leading edge.

EWCG= 9.22"

CG Limit= 8.4-16.8" aft of datum.

Full IFR panel, 2 GRT HX, XIO-540-D4A5, Hartzell 2 BL BA, 60A PP alt, PC680/PC925 batteries in the rear, two contactors, cloth seat covers, painted interior, no carpet, installed spare wiring in wings and fuse, used heavier vs lighter ga wiring on most circuits, ato fuse panels. I would like to replace batteries with LiFe down the road to give me more baggage capacity. We usually take off near GW and love it! No problem keeping the nose wheel off above 15 kts and near aft limit upon landing after 4.5 hr xc.

Last edited:
a/c and soundproofing

I came in at a portly 1724.1 and 107.957

Fully painted, full interior, A/C, and soundproofing.

It?s been a long time since you wrote this post. Hope you or smb else can read and reply..
I?m finishing the -10 project soon in Buenos Aires , Argentina. Please tell me something about a/c influency in weight and CG and what kind of soundproofing do you have.
thanks

W&B

2 blade Hartzell, full interior, dual batt (LiFePo), dual alternator, dual AHARS, IFR G3X panel.

1645lbs @ 105.78in

1596, 106.9". With 8 qts of oil, paint, interior, fairings, and odds and ends I don't take out of the plane. It's intentionally nose heavy so that I can load it up when I want. When lightly loaded I carry 50lbs of shot in the back.

Whirlwind prop, two earth-X batteries, dual alternators, and well equipped IFR panel.

2 blade Hartzell, full interior, dual batt (LiFePo), dual alternator, dual AHARS, IFR G3X panel.

1645lbs @ 105.78in

Jim, sent you a private message. I rarely notice when someone does that, so, trying to let you know here with this post. Thank you.

Older thread, but I'll add a data point.

Full paint, single screen G3X. Modest interior. Built to plans with the only major add being the overhead console.

1607 lbs, 107.25" CG.

I'm at 1722 AFTER switching over to EarthX. I'm not the builder, so still trying to find where all the weight is coming from.

We are at 1707 in our -10. That is with a lighter weight 3 blade MT prop and an EarthX battery. Some of the weight may be coming from the avionics and interior finishing. Just a thought.

I'm happy to hear of others over 1700. 3-screen AFS setup and full SFSA interior + overhead console is not light for sure, but I love it!

-Craig

Back