What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL 40 | RV-12 | Comm Clicking like crazy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bt5NaxcuObEuL7mT70ik85aNCmvRHdfh/view?usp=drivesdk

Recently, my comms have started making a clicking sound. Not when I’m on the ground, but when I take off it starts and gradually speeds up to where I can hardly hear anything on the radios.

It’s weird because I can temporarily make the noise go away when I pull the power to idle (or sometimes increase the power) but the clicking always begins again after a few seconds.

In the video, you can see the ‘TX’ appear. With each appearance, there is a popping/clicking sound that overrides anything else I hear. I can still transmit like normal, and it is not actually transmitting anything on freq.

Any ideas what this might be and how to address it? The plane has gone about 600 hrs without this happening. Just started. Thanks for all your wisdom!

Last edited:
been there done that, although with a different brand radio and in a -7 so I didn't have premade wiring harnesses.

Check the wiring on your PTT for a short to ground. Mine was at the passenger stick disconnect. the pin had unseated and must have been touching the airframe or other lead somehow, fine on the ground but the vibrations of flight made the clicking. I ended up just removing it since I fly 97% of time with the passenger stick out.

Also note that as long as it's doing that you are transmitting those clicks too, at least my FBO said they could hear it on the UNICOM when I asked.

Last edited:
Back