What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storing completed airframe parts until final assembly

RV-Ogler

My tail section is nearly finished; the stabs and control surfaces will go on the walls in my hangar and the aft fuselage is light enough that I think I can suspend it from the hangar ceiling above.

The local shop on the field has the ability to fog planes with ACF 50 and I’m considering having that done to my parts since they are gonna be in the hangar for a couple years before I’m ready. I know rodents do get in there because they ate my granola bars, and their dropping are corrosive. Anyone here try this treatment? Any reason you would not want to?

I would be concerned that the ACF 50 would seep out through rivets and skins over time and potentially cause issues for painting.

I would be concerned that the ACF 50 would seep out through rivets and skins over time and potentially cause issues for painting.
Yeah that would be my thought.
I stored mine under the bed for years. I know I'm not the only one.

Same here. I wouldn't do it. That stuff goes everywhere. Your painter would hate you and you might hate you too if your paint didn't adhere well.

If your hangar has rats, I'd find a way to correct that problem. Traps, poison, etc. My hangar (heck, all hangars?) is attractive to rats and mice. I keep rat/mouse poison stations around the inside perimeter of my hangar.

Last edited:
…and

You won’t be able to get rid of the mice. Make sure you cover ALL of the holes in the ends of the parts; they will find a way in…

Plug up or tape over any holes that those little destructive BA$+0£€§ can get into use aluminum HVAC tape. Most other types of tape will come unstuck over time, HVAC tape will stay put until you take it off. most any solvent will remove the adhesive residue ( I’ve had great success with break cleaner )
Those mice can get through a much smaller hole then you’d think.

You won’t be able to get rid of the mice. Make sure you cover ALL of the holes in the ends of the parts; they will find a way in…

Maybe I should get some bags of desiccant inside the parts if everything is sealed off. The aft fuselage is to big to seal off. I just have to keep a close eye on it

Stretch wrap

I stored my -7 empennage parts in the garage on simple 2x4 brackets attached to the ceiling. Best thing I did was wrap the parts in stretch wrap aka pallet wrap. Available in the big box hardware stores.

...but then your airplane will forever smell like grandma's basement!

Well, Not forever, but for a while. By the time you remove them after storage, assemble the aircraft, and complete the build, the smell will be gone. It doesn't last forever.

Well, Not forever, but for a while. By the time you remove them after storage, assemble the aircraft, and complete the build, the smell will be gone. It doesn't last forever.

I can still smell those mothballs from my grandma's house and I haven't been there in three decades!:D

Back