What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Southeast RV Tour

engineerorange

Well Known Member
This year I get some extra vacation at work and I am planning a 2 week adventure, just me and the RV. The goals of the trip:

1:Get out and see some interesting places
2:Meet some good ol’ aviation people
3:Just get away from the every day of life for a couple weeks

I hope to spend a day at most stops exploring the local area and would like to find some low/no cost places to stay. I have places to overnight in Chesapeake, VA, Georgetown, SC, and Jacksonville, FL. I will bring a small tent and sleeping bag, so if anyone knows of any FBO couches, airports that allow camping or pilot crash pads, especially along the western part of the route please let me know. General route is start at Tangier Island, work my way down the east coast to Jacksonville, FL, head southwest to Cedar Key and the follow the gulf coast to New Orleans where I will turn north towards Memphis before heading back northeast to Northern Kentucky and then to the Shenandoah VA area. Of course this could change based on weather and your suggestions of places to see/stay.

Let the recommendations begin!

Last edited:
KBWG

KBWG in Bowling Green, KY is a great airport for GA. No tower but cross runways, free tie downs and a nice pilot lounge with cushy recliners open 24/7. The FBO guys will take you across the street to several restaurants. You can also check out the National Corvette Museum while in town. If you come here, PM me and maybe we could meet for dinner.

Roy E Ray Airport, Mobile, AL

Not sure what your thinking is, but Roy Ray is a private airpark near Mobile, AL. They have a grass strip and showers/bathrooms. I've only been there for a fly-in (via car).

If you stop there, please let me know, we'd meet you.

Sounds like fun!

Cheers,
Mike

TN and KY options

Houston County Airport Mc Kinnon, TN (M93)
Southernaire Motel and Restaurant At the end of runway 26. Park in the grass and go get some good food.

Tullahoma Regional Airport, Tullahoma, TN (KTHA)
Beechcraft Heritage Museum on the south side by the 9/27 turf runway. Pretty sure you can camp there but not positive.

Rough River State Park Airport. Falls of Rough, KY (2I3)
Rough River Dam State Resort Park. Camp by your airplane or stay in the lodge within short walking distance. Good food at the restaurant.

Have fun!

I don't know when your thinking of making your trip but if I'm not out of town
you're welcome to my spare bedroom with your own bathroom. I'm at the airport most days, (fully retired), so I could provide transportation. You'd fly into the Foley, AL airport... 5r4. That's where I keep my plane. Good folks there.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I am certainly taking notes.
Timeframe is late April-early May so we have some time for recommendations.

Back