What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who makes a close quarters pop riveter@

knievel

The title says it all. I need to put some pop rivets in the center flange of my horizontal stabilizer. The riveter i borrowed from work has far too broad a head.

Anyone know where I can buy one that fits?

Section 5 (IIRC) of the build manual tells you how to fabricate an off-axis pop rivet assistance tool.

Another approach is to buy a cheap pop rivet tool and grind the nose to match your needs.

Section 5 (IIRC) of the build manual tells you how to fabricate an off-axis pop rivet assistance tool.

Another approach is to buy a cheap pop rivet tool and grind the nose to match your needs.

I have used both these options with good success, after a little bit of practice to refine the technique.

I grinded off a "not-cheap" pop rivet tool. And after years and countless following pop rivets it still works perfect.

I ground a cheap pop rivet tool for close quarters. It works better than my more expensive tool so it?s been my go to all purpose riveter.

Bevan

The professional (expensive) tool would be something like a GageBilt GBP704E-Cherry Max riveter with the Cherry offset pulling head.

You may be lucky and get that combo on EBay for about $600 (but you could always sell it again afterwards for the same amount).

That said, I've used the methods described above with some success and also had to drill a few out again when the plug didn't pull through.

It's quite easy to make the pulling wedge described above from 3/8" square steel bar. I have a drawing somewhere that I could send if required (edit: drawing added).
attachment.php

Last edited:
I ended up cutting the end off a piece of 1/2"aluminum rod at about a 10 degree angle. On the shallow side it's maybe 3/16" thick. Then I drilled a 1/8" hole, centered on and perpendicular to the angled face so it comes out near the edge of the non-angled face.

I pre-bent the mandrel of the rivet, slid the tool over the mandrel, and insert the business end into the hope. That have me plenty of clearance.

Thanks for the help, boys.

Back