What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV3 panel in CAD?

Lufthans

Well Known Member
Yes!

After selling my share in the RV4 that I used to co-own, I tried to be happy with my Jodel and Fly Baby. After all, two aircraft should be enough, right?

Flying is still good fun, but I found myself REALLY missing that RV.

And so in the next couple of weeks, I'm picking up this rather derelict RV-3B that I have bought a few days ago :).

Fly it home and take it apart, with the aim of turning her into something nice.

One of the items that needs attention is the panel. In the RV4, I simply downloaded a CAD file of the panel from the Vans website, drew up how I wanted the new one, CNC cut it and off I went. Problem is - there are no CAD files on the Vans site for the -3.

Does anybody happen to have one?

Thanks!

Hans

Probably best to measure the existing one and reproduce that in CAD. The individual RV-3B panels will likely have individual variations, perhaps even mild ones from one side to the other.

Dave

Thanks Bud, PM sent.

And David, comment noted! I'll make a point of checking the CAD drawing prior to actually making the part :)

You've got to love this forum, thanks guys!

Hans

RV3 Panel

+1 what David said.

Like President Reagan said: "Trust But Verify"

(Ask me how I know?)

HFS

Scan

There is another possibility that you may consider. Pull out the panel and have it scanned by the folks that can water jet/ laser cut the panel for you. This way the panel exterior would be a match to your current one. Interior layout could all be done in CAD. The RV3 and RV4 were much more "hand built" than the new generation and as such there are subtle differences between two planes of the same model.

Good advice...

This is good advice for the -3. That said, I could put one together for you if you like. You can also use my site for working on the designs...

Let me know if you'd like me to put one together...BVD

Probably best to measure the existing one and reproduce that in CAD. The individual RV-3B panels will likely have individual variations, perhaps even mild ones from one side to the other.

Dave

This is good advice for the -3. That said, I could put one together for you if you like. You can also use my site for working on the designs...

Let me know if you'd like me to put one together...BVD

Thanks Bill. I am in Europe though, so shipping would likely be rather expensive. And besides, my day job is building custom cars. We've got this covered :)

Much appreciated though.

My bad...

I didn't mean I would put a panel together, just the drawing... :)

Thanks Bill. I am in Europe though, so shipping would likely be rather expensive. And besides, my day job is building custom cars. We've got this covered :)

Much appreciated though.

I've been playing around with your panel planner. Nice stuff! Not everything works equally well, and your database is (understandably) not complete. However it is a very nice tool to get things started. Thanks!

Back