What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Folding electric bike

We recently acquired two Bromptons and added Nano electric hub drive kits. The two bikes fit in the luggage bay of the RV7 with ease (check your own weight and balance figures carefully though).

Best technique for optimising range seems to be for the rider to put in a reasonable amount of pedal effort and not try to go too fast - there is virtually no battery drain on the flat this way but tweak up the power as required and hills and headwinds hold no fear anymore - we regularly get 15-20 miles from 6Ah Bosch batteries.

PM for more info if required.

Last edited:
Brompton

I would like info on your electric conversion. What model did you start with? I have an M3L and I wish it had more gears. Possibly electric conversion would improve it.

-Marc

https://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/

This it the kit we used -excellent pre and post sale service by the owner (Lynda Power) and her team in the UK.

The kits took me about four hours to fit ( first one three hours, second one was much faster....see, I can still learn new tricks).
Tools for such as bottom bracket cassette removal are freely loaned by Nano if required. We have had no need for spares as yet but Nano keep a comprehensive stores inventory and are only 30 miles from us.

Swytch have a good website but rely on crowdfunding to support batch production of their units. Sadly, we heard of long waits for the product and little support/spares backup.

Last edited:
I converted 2no. M3L bikes - underbar shift units (as fitted around 2017 onwards) and went for button sped controllers rather than twist grip or thumb lever throttles.

We are extremely pleased with the conversions and even choose to ride our Bromptons for recreation at weekends now over our normal hybrid bikes ( or have to up to date, all might change with virus precautions altering daily hereabouts).

Back