What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trying to sell the gorgeous RV-8 to the UK

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
So I had a serious buyer for the gorgeous RV-8 lined up, but UK regs meant that a ton of rework would be required to license the plane there. Basically, if the plane wasn't built exactly to the plans...
* In the forward baggage compartment, there is a cutout to access the instrument panel. That's not allowed over there, and if you want to fix it by riveting a piece across the cutout, that would require a full stress analysis to be performed. Their mechanic said replace the bulkhead;
* Same for an access panel in the floor behind the back seat;
* Didn't hear why, but the Tefzel wiring would all have to be replaced to keep them happy. And it's a nice wiring job, too;
* A biggie is that the engine is an experimental O-320 with no data plate. The workaround was to sell the plane firewall aft. But the ECI cylinders really should be replaced, anyway;
* The transponder is not Mode S, and the comm radio is not 8.33kHz spacing, so those aren't legal over there, either. Knew that going in...

Anybody else run into similar problems selling overseas? Now to start advertising again...

Our LAA do have a strict view on any mods to the plans. And can be pretty much a pain.

Mil spec wire should not be a problem. But cutouts are likely to cause a problem. But I have seen RV8's flying in the UK with access to the back of the panel, and RV7's come to that.

An engine without history will be a problem. But with history experimental engines are allowable.

You don't even have to have a transponder over here, so that is no issue. Radios do have to be 8.33 so that would need replacing.

Several of my friends have got aircraft from the US with no real problems.

Last edited:
RV-8 overseas sale

Ed,

Not to throw a damper on the party but your -8 is legal to fly in the U.S. so the foreign requirements are up to the buyer, not your problem. I don?t think it is reasonable to do anything to the airplane. If the buyer wants it they can make arrangements to complete the mods after the sale either here in the U.S. or do it after they import it and register in the UK once all the work is done.

I would not agree to do any work as there are always buyers here in the States looking for RV-8s. You shouldn?t have any trouble selling the -8 here.

Most of those issues can be resolved (apart from the radios).
The LAA have a system of approving modifications from plans and there are examples in the UK that have similar access panels. If a modification has already been approved on another example, then it's straight forward to get the same approval.

There should be no reason to replace the wiring if it's all the correct gauge and tefzel insulation.

The engine may require further work, but I had a similar (also O-320) approved with incomplete paperwork based on inspection and a satisfactory service history.

This may be an issue with the inspector reluctant to get involved with approvals, but it sounds to me that approval as-is should be possible.

It is probably up to the buyer, but a discussion of the issues with the LAA chief engineer may come up with a path forward.

Staying on the N registration is not an option as the exemption will only be granted for about 1-2 months.

There is only a short period where an "experimental" or home built can be operated in the UK before it has to be transferred to the G register or leave again.

There is only a short period where an "experimental" or home built can be operated in the UK before it has to be transferred to the G register or leave again.

This period is not only for the UK but for almost all (if not all) European countries, the period is 28 days. N-reg experimentals also require a permit for each country that you fly into/through, bit of a pain.

There is an N-reg Glasair 3 based in Germany, he is pretty much stuck to just fly in Germany unless of course he does the paperwork for flying though a country which will be valid for a limited period.

Back