What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reducing Firewall Penetrations

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I have a bunch of stuff that needs to be mounted on the engine side of the firewall:
  • Ammeter Shunt
  • Starter Contactor
  • 3 MAP sensors
  • Fuel pressure sensor
  • etc... the list goes on...

The problem is, I don't want to drill a ton of holes through the firewall.

Has anyone ever just made a plate with standoffs, and put all the stuff there, instead of on the firewall itself? Would that be a bad idea?

Not a pass-thru

Not sure what a 'plate with standoffs' looks like...

I already have my pass throughs done. I am just talking about the items that mount to the firewall itself. I don't want to penetrate the firewall with all those mounting bolts (or plate nuts).

I already have my pass throughs done. I am just talking about the items that mount to the firewall itself. I don't want to penetrate the firewall with all those mounting bolts (or plate nuts).

Well, they're steel, so unlike aluminum, you shouldn't lose thermal protection. They're small, so even if you had a bit of "slop" between the fastener and the hole, shouldn't really be a toxic gas problem in the event of a fire. You could plop a dab of Firebarrier on it before torquing it down if you wanted.

I think fabbing up some sort of bracket, and then attaching to that, is overkill. Just about every plane I've ever seen, RVs included, has a few items mounted to the firewall as you noted...shunts, contactors, brake reservoirs, etc. Doesn't seem to be a real problem.

BTW, why do you need *3* Manifold Pressure transducers?

Because the devices that "listen" to them don't like to share (or so I have been told). Two for the ECUs for redundant electronic ignition, and one for the Skyview, so I can see what the pressure actually is.

Back