What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I'm back..with another -8A..in need of panel upgrades!

BVD

Well Known Member
It's been about 9 years since I've been here. I built an -8A in 2002 and sold it in 2009, and just got busy with life...you know how it is. But I just picked up another -8A and will be stating a two phase panel upgrade, along with an in-depth condition inspection, next month. I hope to have a builder/flying log up in the next week or so to document the process, but it's not quite ready.

The "Ghost" is a 2006 RV-8A quickbuild with a 200HP IO360 and Hartzell C/S. The panel is VFR and pretty well done with vacuum AI and DG, Navaid autopilot, RMI VSI, VM1000, GTX327, 250XL, SL40, and a 496. It's also got a Propriety Software Systems AOA. Not bad, but if you know me, then you know i'm gonna upgrade it...LOL

BIugrZa.png

pKkpiJC.png

Phase one will be quick and dirty (so I can fly while building phase 2 on the bench) and will include removing the vacuum system, AI, DG, Navaid, RMI, and 250XL (if you need any of these items please let me know), and the installation of a Garmin G5 with autopilot and GMC507 controller. I'll replace the AI with the G5, put the 496 in place of the DG to drive the autopilot for now. The autopilot controller will go in place of the 250XL, and I'll add an iPad Mini 4 running ForeFlight on a ram mount. The parts are on order and I'm estimating the cost of phase one to be around $5K..considering I still have plenty of "stuff" from when I was building panels to take care of all the harnesses and etc. And, perhaps I can recoup some of the cost by selling some of the removed equipment.

H47OovK.png

Phase 2 will be a new center panel I'll cut on the Panel Pro and will include the removal of just about all of the remaining original equipment and the installation of the 10.4" GRT Horizon HXr Touch with their Safe-Fly GPS and IFR Approach Option. I'll also add the GRT remote EIS package, a VAL remote NAV, and PSE remote audio panel. I may also add a Garmin Navigator of some kind, if I can find a deal (the pic has a 430W), but i'm in no hurry there. I'm also going to need the Garmin GAD29 AIRINC unit, and am planning on the GRT Echo combined with the Safe-Fly for ADS-B out, but will wait a bit to pull the trigger on that since things are still changing. I'm sure I've missed a couple things here, but I am still working out the details and the final design. I really want to put a map box of some kind in the empty space on the panel and have some ideas for that.

HhnzqbA.png

Please let me know what you think! All questions, comments, and concerns are welcome!! I'm excited to have an RV again and excited to be part of the community again after far too long.

Last edited:
Just finished a dual SkyView, GTN-650 install for my new RV-8 project. Some thoughts on your layout if you want:
- Move the autopilot panel to below the EFIS display, move the EFIS display as high as it will go. On the 8/8A you can do this.
- Move the IFR navigator up as high as it will go, the other stack stuff underneath it as you show. You have enough room to get it and the SL-30 above the forward cross brace.
- Move the backup EFIS to the right of the center EFIS display, again up high.
- Move the ELT control box off to the side someplace. It should not be in prime panel space.
- Consider keeping the steam gauge airspeed instrument. You have room for it on the right side.

Carl

Hey Carl...been a while, Thanks!

Yeah, I was working on changing some things up today. Since I am not going to re-cut / re-install new side panels...yet. The stuff on there will stay, although I will cut another NACA on the right side and ad another vent. I really like having the AP control top center, as that's what I am used to flying on a daily basis, but I'll be flying with it on the bottom for a while so I can see how that goes. I put a couple backup instruments on the right, but I still think I'm going to design a map box to go there...

veaItfh.png

AP control on the bottom, g-meter and, iPad Mini.

8CxHIzb.png

Last edited:
My 2c as someone like to say. I like the way this came out, plus for seemless IFR integration, I prefer not mixing and matching equipment vendors.

IMG_7756-650.jpg

Welcome back Mr VonDane! This 8A has a little more up front than your build did. Happy flying.

For Phase 1 considering putting a Aero 660 in place of the 496. You don't gain much in a sense of features but you do get wireless integration with ADSB In that you can always use for phase 2.

For Phase 2 I can't stress what Walt said enough, go with Garmin G3X Touch and you will never look back. The incredible integration with the Garmin suite is just something that we can't overlook.

Congrats on getting your RV Grin back :D

Thanks for all the replies!

Walt, I love that panel, in fact it's one I have in my folder of pix of my favorite panels. I have designed some with the G3X and it's right up there at the top of my list.

5w0NJdV.png

3COwY8N.png

I just really like what GRT is doing and the fact that they are "open"...and although I see the point of sticking with one vendor, I also see the benefit of not putting all your eggs in one basket and keeping your backup systems segregated and unaffected by other, possibly failing, systems. I fly a combination of stuff at work and they all have their plusses and minuses.

The Garmin autopilot was a no brainer, so I'll start there...It's likely it will lead me to the G3X, time will tell.

Hey Gary! How you been...? Yeah, I'm exited to fly the thing...I bought it sight unseen. I'll be home Sat and will start the condition inspection. My neighbor did the pre-buy, and a lot of the inspection already, but I'll do
deeper dive when I get home. I'll post all my findings.

Last edited:
Preferences

Everyne has an opinion, but for me, with two independant EFIS?s, ie, HXr and Mini, or G3, I see no benefit at all of having steam gauges in a panel. I guess some just feel more comfortable looking at analog backups, but you already have primary and backup with standby batteries. Sure seems like a lot of wasted effort and panel space.
Of course, you are getting exactly what you paid for in this post. Just another opinion.

Since you are asking and if you are going with GRT, I would put a Mini-X in it and then if you go with the HRX it would connect to the HXR and you could run it in several different sub modes such as an Engine display while running your "big" screen in a Nav and Attitude or any other mode you desire. The GRT autopilot is pretty good, I've had several. The Mini-X can be wired with a simple switch to control the autopilot in the event of a "big" screen failure.

NIX the Steam

Get rid of the round dial gauges. Panel real estate is precious. Those steam gauges are a total waste of space. Why?

Phase 1 complete

I've pretty much completed phase 1 of my panel upgrade. I wanted to upgrade the panel with modern tech, a better autopilot, and reduce some of the weight and complexity without cutting a new panel.

I've already started thinking about phase 2 which will include a new panel I'll build on the bench. However, I'm gone 8 months of the year for work, so it'll probably be a while before it's completed and installed. :D

Removed (all items working when removed):
vacuum Pump, Filter, Plumbing, and Gauge - for sale
Vacuum Attitude Indicator - for sale
Vacuum DG - for sale
RMI uEncoder - donated
Navaid Autopilot and Servo - for donation
Astrotech Chronometer - for sale
Garmin 250XL with tray - for sale
Garmin GPSMAP 496 - I may keep this for the back seater...

Installed:
Garmin G5, Autopilot with GMC 507 Controller, and Aera 660. I've also installed a mount for the iPad with ForeFlight. Soon I'll be installing the GDL82 and 50R for ADS-B in/out to complete phase 1. Of course I designed it on my site...

LI3qM2q.png

kwCfhIl.jpg

I'd love to hear what you think and your input and suggestions for phase 2. I'm working on designs on my site, and will post them as I go.

Also, please let me know if you're interested in any of the items I've removed.

Last edited:
ADS-B IN/OUT DONE!

I finally found some free time at home to install my ADS-B (thanks Tim for the deal on the GDL 82 and 50R).

I made a shelf across the longerons just aft of the baggage area to mount the equipment. Mounted the L-Band antenna on the bottom skin adjacent to the next bulkhead aft, and the GPS antenna on the top of the fuselage just aft of the pax seat.

Everything powered up as expected and once the GDL 82 was configured everything was in the green. I recently removed the PSS AOA system that had an indicator mounted in the left side panel, so I made a little Switch/LED panel to put in place of the indicator. The LED is for GDL 82 faults, and the switch is a mini DPDT momentary down to test the LED, center off, and up on for anonymous mode. Worked out pretty good considering I'm working with existing holes. The next step in the upgrade process includes a GDU 460 and a new panel will be cut so I can finally clean everything up and make it all look pretty.

The GDL 50R is really nice. Hard wired to the Aera 600 for weather and traffic, and via Bluetooth to the iPad. The iPad is running ForeFlight and has BT connections to both the 660 for sending/receiving flight plans, and to the GDL50R for AHRS, weather and traffic. Works perfectly! I now have 3 PFDs, 2 with synthetic vision.

Now I have to go back to work and make money to pay for it! :D

Click for pics - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gy9pF8gsSNtbstmxo-z4A8wtV8ko9Pn_?usp=sharing

Back