What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron & Flap Brackets

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
As I was priming the aileron and flap brackets for assembly, I got to wondering if I was just adding work for myself. These are all exposed and will get hit with exterior paint down the road, yeah? Should I just be priming the mating surfaces and leaving everything else bare so I don't have to remove it all when prepping for paint? I have no idea what paint system I'll use, so I'm just assuming it may be a different system from the primer I'm using while I build.

Or do most people just prime the brackets and shoot paint over it without really worrying much about paint/primer mismatch?

Primed

I primed everything that was ‘t painted because I figure it was easier to strip the primer, than remove surface corrosion prior to paint. I used SW wash primer, it is compatible with most paint systems.

Yes, it is way easier to wash/wipe off a coat of primer on a part than it is to clean an old, weathered bare aluminum part.

Prime them now with rattle-can self-etching primer, then just give it a good wipe with acetone when you are prepping for paint. With an acetone wipe and light scuff sand, you can then shoot the appropriate primer for your chosen final finish system over that, and proceed.

My reply makes 3 - I primed these with self-etching primer to protect for now, and it's easy enough to remove later for final paint.

painter favor

But do your painter a favor prior to installation, round the edges a little with some 220 grit. Sharp edges of brackets make the painting hard, a rounded edge is much easier to paint, and it easier to do prior to installation.

Back