What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel flow xducer mounting location

There is no favorite.

I can count 4 different places on a carbureted engine and you will find proponents of each location here.

If you wish to follow the manufacturers recommendation of mounting after the engine fuel pump, then the locations fall to 2, one on the firewall and the other not.

Just like Paul's- works well- very accurate, easy to route fuel hoses with minimum length, easy access.

If it is mounted ahead of the engine pump there is a small added pressure drop due to fuel flow. If you plan to use auto fuel, then you might want to consider one of the 2 locations after the engine pump.

As our RV's have a number of heat related fuel flow issues, I have selected one of the after locations. While it may provide little or unknown margin, it is definitely more margin to heat related pressure loss.

Analog Gage's with efis

Modifying my post. Can I tie in my analog fuel Gage's with future g3x efis? I want this redundancy. Guy at garmin clueless. Thx dm

Guy at garmin clueless. Thx dm

You asked the wrong guy then... Try [email protected]. If you're talking regular float type senders then yes. Two wires, a ground, and a signal from the brass screw at the end of the tank.

2heh84m.jpg

transducer in cockpit

Finally got a look at the floor between fuel selector and firewall and realized no room for transducer to sit. Not deep enough. Did not get a look directly behind selector, as there may be more room (depth) Has anyone mounted in this area? If not they'll mount fwd firewall and get a couple hoses fab'd. Thank you. DM

Finally got a look at the floor between fuel selector and firewall and realized no room for transducer to sit. Not deep enough. Did not get a look directly behind selector, as there may be more room (depth) Has anyone mounted in this area? If not they'll mount fwd firewall and get a couple hoses fab'd. Thank you. DM

I just fabricated a 0.020 cover (F-782C on a -7) over the central floorboard area. I made it about 1/2 inch higher to clear a fuel flow sender (Floscan type) mounted to the bottom skin.

Since feet do not come in contact with the central area, the only thing affected would be a one piece carpet across the cockpit.

I've inspected a lot of airplanes. I've seen them mounted almost everywhere you can imagine. They seems to work well anywhere.
Mine is between the selector valve and the boost pump. Been working great of over 21 years.

Like Mel----I 've seen them everywhere imaginable---and then some. Sometimes plumbing them makes you get creative. Keep it simple.
Tom

On my RV7A, the fuel flow sender actually fits under the existing covers on the floor near the firewall. This is downstream of the electric boost pump (fuel injection), which should be on for take-off so I'm not concerned about added risk for vapor lock. It is located on a the end of a striaght piece of fuel tubing which should smooth out the fuel flow for accurate readings. It is not FWF where it can pick up heat. Not flying yet though so I'm not suggesting anyone else do this. Bevan.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2aio4di.jpg

Last edited:
Back