What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim

Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
Now that I have the fifth point sorted out I was able to
find something else I know nothing about.
I have never flown an airplane with aileron trim.
Today, before screwing the seat pans in place I decided to
check one more time all that is to be covered.
When I trimmed the ailerons, all that happened was the springs
stretched but no movement on the ailerons.
First time I have tried this with the wings on and all hooked up.
To me they are nice and loose feeling.
But I am only a low end Cessna driver.
I have the Ray Allen system and I checked again today, all is
installed per the manual. Main thing is the springs do have
a slight tension on them in the neutral position.
Do you trim in the air until the stick quits pulling, but they don't
move on the ground?
Sure would appreciate some advice on this. Ready to start on the
interior.

Yes, the springs reduce pressure on the stick while flying. On the ground it just moves the stick off center. I'm assuming you are talking about the spring bias manual trim and not an electric trim.

Last edited:
Now that I have the fifth point sorted out.....

Hey Bert,

Would you mind posting the results back on that fifth point thread you started? Folks that replied will probably be interested to hear what the issue was, and it'll be good documentation so folks searching for a similar problem can find it in the future. Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks!

Yes, the springs reduce pressure on the stick while flying. On the ground it just moves the stick off center. I'm assuming you are talking about the spring bias manual trim and not an electric trim.

I haven't flown with aileron trim either, so I can't answer the OP's question. However, both the manual aileron trim and Van's electric trim are both spring bias systems. The difference is that instead of the manual lever, the electric trim uses a servo to bias the spring.

There are those who have modified an aileron with a movable tab and servo in the aileron, but it isn't available directly from Vans.

Electric Trim

Thanks for the replies, but still not sure.
I have the Ray Allen electric trim, servo in the center with
a spring going each way to the bottom of the sticks.
I played with it before the wings were installed to check my wiring.
All moved as it should and the sticks moved, but was moving nothing
but the sticks.
Now the servo arm moves but the only thing that happens is the
springs get stretched. Sticks don't move any.
So now in holding pattern trying to decide if something is wrong with
the trim or the ailerons are too tight.

Hi Bert

You might find that you need to increase the spring tension, my sticks do move as the spring tension increases, my full movement is about 2-3"

Try it first you might find its enough, if not you can always change it later.

Cheers

I love the manual trim. As others have posted, you may need to increase the static tension (i.e. the preset stretch) on the springs.

Trim

Just like Eddie said- increase spring tension a bit so it gives about 1.5 each way. I have the trim, but have never used it.

It sounds like you have some unacceptable friction in your roll control system. Disconnect the trim springs from the sticks and investigate. Roll controls should move very freely at all pitch positions, and pitch controls should move very freely at all roll positions.

Back