What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primary radio- GTB650 or GMA240?

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
Setting up my comms and only one (either the 650 or 240) will have a flip flop on the stick. Using g3x touch screens and I don't have a feel yet for how often I'll be using the touch screens to change frequencies. The GTN650 gives me a flip flop to change frequencies by a button directly in front of me. The 240 remote will be done through the touch screen. Given that, it seems to make more sense to set up the 240 with stick capability of changing frequencies.

Have any of you found that that you use one radio or the other as your primary radio? Better reception, transmission, etc?

Thanks,
Tom H

Last edited:
I actually used the stick to flip the audio panel between com1 and com2. When I am flying IFR and get a freq. change, my hand is already on the radio from tuning in the new freq., so flipping the standby into the active is convenient since my hand is already up at the radio.

I preset my tower/unicom prior to the approach and use the stick to swap over when I am cleared to contact tower. That way I am not looking at the radio or moving my arm at a critical time of the approach.

I should clarify.

Stick already has ability to switch between comms. I'm just trying to find out if one radio seems to work better than the other since I have one additional stick switch available to add flip flop from standby for primary radio.

Tom

GTN650

If you're talking about a GTN650 - I have one and compared to my Icom A210it is the better of the two by far IMHO. It's my primary radio.

Back