What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which TUBELESS tires for Beringer?

MS19087

Well Known Member
I love my Goodyear flight custom III. Long lasting. Would love to use these on Beringer wheels. GY literature not clear on use as a tubeless application. What are you folks using?(

AVIATORS

Mine came with MICHELIN 071-311-0 AVIATOR TIRE 5.00-5 10PLY and almost 300 hours probably can get another 300 from them. The SenceAir pressure monitors are a really nice upgrade. Rotated and flipped at 200 hours.

I use the Michelins as well and am very happy with them. Note on the mains, you can typically flip the tires on the rim and get more even wear out of them, at least on my 10.

How about the retreads, does anyone use those with Beringer? I know they make the tubeless tires as well.

Michelin makes a 6 and 8 ply tubeless, 10 ply is a little much for a 14.

10 PLY

Walt, I wanted to start collecting the tires as part of my $350 and up free shipping and the 10 plies are cheaper than the 8 plies. Is there a downside to using the 10's other than the weight penalty? (The 10's are almost a pound heavier apiece and slightly wider) Thanks

Walt, I wanted to start collecting the tires as part of my $350 and up free shipping and the 10 plies are cheaper than the 8 plies. Is there a downside to using the 10's other than the weight penalty? (The 10's are almost a pound heavier apiece and slightly wider) Thanks

They are quite stiff so may be more likely to cause shimmy, also tougher on the airframe as they won't absorb as much landing 'impact'.
My preference for RV's is 6 ply.

Mine came with MICHELIN 071-311-0 AVIATOR TIRE 5.00-5 10PLY and almost 300 hours probably can get another 300 from them. The SenceAir pressure monitors are a really nice upgrade. Rotated and flipped at 200 hours.

I have this same part number, and they are ready to be replaced. I don't know what the ply number is; I don't see it on the sidewall. Should I assume it is 10 ply based on the part number? I'm not sure what kind of wheel it is as I'm not a builder, but I've posted a few pictures.

Would you guys recommend replacing with the same or going with something else? I saw one recommendation for a lower ply rating. Just looking for some advice before ordering. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1927.jpeg
    IMG_1927.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1928.jpeg
    IMG_1928.jpeg
    749.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1929.jpeg
    IMG_1929.jpeg
    765.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1930.jpeg
    IMG_1930.jpeg
    944 KB · Views: 70
Ply rating

I have this same part number, and they are ready to be replaced. I don't know what the ply number is; I don't see it on the sidewall. Should I assume it is 10 ply based on the part number? I'm not sure what kind of wheel it is as I'm not a builder, but I've posted a few pictures.

Would you guys recommend replacing with the same or going with something else? I saw one recommendation for a lower ply rating. Just looking for some advice before ordering. Thanks!

I am almost positive the ply rating is on the tire, mine are still wearing very well. No shimmy. Landing 3 to 4 knots over stall helpful, if I don't hear my AOA chirp, I landed to fast.
These are the part no's and corresponding ply numbers.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-13 174459.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-13 174459.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot 2023-06-13 174645.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-13 174645.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
You must do a lot of long flights which would have fewer landing in the 300 hour. I have flipped mine at around 100 hours and would imagine to get another 100 out of them but can not see how I can get to the 300 hours with these tires.

408 hrs to date

You must do a lot of long flights which would have fewer landing in the 300 hour. I have flipped mine at around 100 hours and would imagine to get another 100 out of them but can not see how I can get to the 300 hours with these tires.

My average time between landings is ~ 40 mins. It's pretty easy to review using Savoy data. 98% asphalt. I think part of the answer is landing at minimum airspeeds. Initially I could smell rubber on my roll-outs and after I started using AOA to determine a "good" landing been quite some time since I smelled anything. Also, I use 40 psi as a minimum and set my pressures to 62 psi. Having SensAir helps determine when I need to plan on pulling the pants to add air. Currently get almost a year between inflations. BullSnot tire mounting lubricant seems to help. My nose tire probably will go 800 hrs+, try not to set it down till I run out of elevator authority.

My average time between landings is ~ 40 mins. It's pretty easy to review using Savoy data. 98% asphalt. I think part of the answer is landing at minimum airspeeds. Initially I could smell rubber on my roll-outs and after I started using AOA to determine a "good" landing been quite some time since I smelled anything. Also, I use 40 psi as a minimum and set my pressures to 62 psi. Having SensAir helps determine when I need to plan on pulling the pants to add air. Currently get almost a year between inflations. BullSnot tire mounting lubricant seems to help. My nose tire probably will go 800 hrs+, try not to set it down till I run out of elevator authority.

Thanks for the info. My landings are very much the same as yours, minimum speed and the nose stays up as long as it can. My tire pressure are set at 50 PSI and usually I have to add air every six months or so. The price of SensAir is just too steep for me, I rather buy AVGas with that money :)

AOA and Savoy to grade landings

This is what I use to "grade" my landings. I think max AOA should be airspeed at point of touchdown. (Any headwind of course reduces actually IAS) You can see a second AOA increase and that is holding off the nose wheel. Seems to have helped but any input if this is valid, welcome. My target is low 60's knot range. Over the numbers at 70 knots.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-13 202718.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-13 202718.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2023-06-13 202350.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-13 202350.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I am almost positive the ply rating is on the tire, mine are still wearing very well. No shimmy. Landing 3 to 4 knots over stall helpful, if I don't hear my AOA chirp, I landed to fast.
These are the part no's and corresponding ply numbers.

Are these tires tubeless? My tire is stamped "Tubeless" as well as "Tube Type." (see photos)

10 ply TT/TL

Are these tires tubeless? My tire is stamped "Tubeless" as well as "Tube Type." (see photos)

The 10 ply is both TL/TT.

Tube pressure is important to life with Beringer specifying 88 psi max for this tire while my enclosed documented specified 4 Bars. (~60 psi)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-13 174645.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-13 174645.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 79
10 PLY

This is where mine shows ply rating. These are about a year old. (Kept in dark and climate-controlled hangar) Possibly the older tires where not marked. Don't remember what tires on the airframe read..

Attachments

• TIRES.jpg
    TIRES.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Red triangle

Anyone have an idea why the tire needs to be mounted with the red triangle above the valve stem? My Michelin Tubeless tires do not have a red marker.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-17 170142.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-17 170142.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 30

look at the red line and the rating should be after the ply#

Attachments

• IMG_1927.jpeg
    IMG_1927.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 83
Back