to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich weaver View Post
I have no idea what a Super Path is but I had hip replacement surgery about 5 years ago and the first two weeks after surgery were pretty miserable although I was improving every day. You are going to need some help. I donít see you being back in the plane in less than 4 weeks and maybe not for 6-8 weeks.
Worth it in the end though. Hang in there
State of the art these days is anterior approach hip replacement. Less soft tissue damage, substantially quicker recovery at the possible cost of some longevity. It would be a different experience than what you had.
IFR equipped
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 08-25-2022, 08:47 PM

Smile Hip replacement

I broke my left hip two years ago at age 71. Best thing to do was go into therapy immediately -and do whatever the therapist tells you to do. Measure the distance from ground to wing or ground to step on your airplane. Let your therapist know this figure and establish a goal for reaching that step through exercise. They had me doing a lot of work on a set of stairs at the therapistís office and using a ladder at home. I also installed the anti-splat foot bar in my airplane. It is worth itís weight in gold! You need to push yourself every day to reach your goal. You also need to continue walking and/or exercising every day, once your therapy is completed. Itís surprising how quickly you will recover, but your hip can stiffen up just as quickly if you stop exercising after therapy. Enjoy the journey. Get back in the air as soon as you can. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:52 PM

Default Worth the short Rehab!

We all handle pain differently especially when dealing with hip pain. I waited for 5 years before I had the nerve to have my right hip replaced. That was 2 years ago when I was 64. You go in the day of surgery in pain and a short time later you emerge feeling great...yes, the meds keep you a bit pain free. Mine was same day surgery. Go in and leave after you walk across the room with a walker, then up and down 5 steps, and finally sit and stand and off to the car you go. Got home and walked around the block with a walker. Next 2 days with the walker and about half mile travelled. 4th day started walking a mile and ditched the walker and no cane at all. As far as flying, went to my plane at week 2 and needed to know if I could climb/crawl on the wing, I did. A week later got into the plane and went for a 30-minute flight. After that the plane was progressively easier to get in and out. I am an ex-college football player and that mentality stayed with me all these years. I walked daily and increased my distance to a mile and a half. The right hip is better than my left and feels so normal. The left one is to be addressed soon. You will be thrilled with the new hip. The anterior surgery is by far best and quickest for recovery. I would suggest that if you are in decent shape prior to surgery that post surgery you get out and walk. Best exercise you can do. This is my experience and my 2 cents. Your mileage may differ. The transition you will have will be so positive. Best of luck!

Steve Koziol
RV9A N424JK
Contribution paid
Old 08-25-2022, 09:53 PM

Had my right hip replaced two years ago, new man. Waited way to long will not wait that long if I need the left one replaced. was sent home with a walker and told to start walking as soon a possible. The biggest issue was the restless legs at night. They are more concerned with blood clots so wore a stocking for a few weeks, took very little pain meds did not like what they were doing to me. Had a waterproof patch where they cut into me so I could get right into the shower. Good luck!!
Old 08-26-2022, 12:44 AM

I busted my left hip in 2014. Apparently, I had my left foot on my RV 8 wing, and the right one on one of those 3 foot tall aluminum step ladders. I say apparently, because I don't remember going down, just suddenly I was on the cement hangar floor, and my hip hurt. ( I was headed for Sun n fun) Anyway, that was 8 years ago, and i'm still flying. Pushing 80.

Last edited by donaziza : 08-26-2022 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:08 AM

Thanks, everyone, for sharing! I feel encouraged reading your your stories and suggestions. I'm seeing the PT folks this morning and will let them know my situation. I'm 69 and over the past 5 years I've seen my stamina and mobility diminish. Even more so with the constant pain. I am motivated to do all I can to enhance my recovery.

I had never heard of the antisplat bar. If I had an -A I'd buy it. Has anyone invented something similar for folks with the little wheel in back? I've been flying my RV-6 for 21 years after buying it from Terry Jantzi in 2001 and getting in and out was never a big deal until recently. I started building an RV-9 this year and I plan to install steps on both sides.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:08 AM

Had both hips replaced, January 2020 and January 2022, you should be cleared to fly in 3 months or less ( less if not a commercial pilot)

PT is a must and do it for a several months after.

Best of luck on your recovery

Greg
Old 08-26-2022, 08:49 AM

I had hip replacement a while ago, and hear its even less surgery now, and healing was good and reasonably fast. JUST TAKE EVERY BIT OF PT THAT YOUR
INSURANCE PROVIDES. Only people I know of that had any problems did the
minimum PT or hardly non at all ! You will be glad you did it once over. CHEERS
TOMCATRV4
Life is uncertain -Eat desert first !
U F O Member since Dec 2017
Old 08-26-2022, 08:56 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyden View Post
I had never heard of the antisplat bar. If I had an -A I'd buy it. Has anyone invented something similar for folks with the little wheel in back? I've been flying my RV-6 for 21 years after buying it from Terry Jantzi in 2001 and getting in and out was never a big deal until recently. I started building an RV-9 this year and I plan to install steps on both sides.
Some have installed an armrest between the seats so you have something to apply leverage against with your right hand as you push up out of the seat. At one time there was an armrest for sale be a vendor, don't know it that is still the case.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 08-26-2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:49 PM

Yes on the easy-exit bar.
BUT, As far as I can tell it is only for the RV-6A not the tail dragger.
No place to mount it on the tail dragger as far as I know.
I have it in my RV-6A and really like it and my hips are fine. I am 6'3" tall so like the help. I also have the RV-14 seat mod.
My three cents worth Art