What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Wolf Remote Filter

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am building an RV14A with the remote Air Wolf oil filter.

However, I blundered when locating the firewall mount. Make sure you tighten the adapter on the engine to the specified 16-18 ft-lbs so you can determine where the firewall mount should be located. On my plane when the adapter is tightened to the 16-18 ft-lbs specified, the adapter fittings on the engine are at 9 and 3 o'clock. I located my firewall adapter with the adapter on the engine finger tight. So, when I tightened the adapter to 17 ft-lbs today, the fitting on the engine that was closest to the firewall became the one farthest from the firewall. That hose suddenly didn't reach. Duh. Good news, I just need a 2" longer hose. Easy.

I could also just move the firewall mount starboard. Not as easy a fix and it means extra holes in the firewall. Not good. And, besides I like where it is. Away from the engine mount.

Oil Filter Remote on Firewall.jpg

Oil Filter Hose B 2%22 Short.jpg

I would make the hose a little longer to allow for "Lycoming shake".

Using a filter without the anti drain flap (not needed), it should be easy to punch a hole in the lower edge of the filter and drain the oil from the filter and the lines into a container..... nice.

I noticed your engine mount to firewall bolts are installed with the nuts behind the firewall. FWIW.... If you place the nuts on the engine side, it will be a lot easier to check the torque of those bolts. They do settle in and need to be checked.

Last edited:
I would make the hose a little longer to allow for "Lycoming shake".

Using a filter without the anti drain flap (not needed), it should be easy to punch a hole in the lower edge of the filter and drain the oil from the filter and the lines into a container..... nice.

I noticed your engine mount to firewall bolts are installed with the nuts behind the firewall. FWIW.... If you place the nuts on the engine side, it will be a lot easier to check the torque of those bolts. They do settle in and need to be checked.

Good tip. Thanks.

We build the hoses for the Airwolf filter based on 2 beta testers installs. Hose are about 16.5 long. We do state in the install manual to mockup the hoses on the engine, then that will determine the exact location of the housing assembly.

Building longer hoses is no big deal either.
Tom

If you mount it upside down, the filter will drain and it will take longer for oil pressure to build. One advantage of it being base down is the filter stays full.

Two advantages, then. Pressure comes right up and less mess changing oil. Btw, when I told Aircraft Specialty, the hose makers, I screwed up and placed the firewall mount too far to port and the hoses didn’t reach, Steve said send the originals back and new, longer hoses, would come my way in exchange. That’s customer service!

Upside Down Air Wolf Wouldn't Work

I checked to see if rotating the firewall mount to what I would consider upside down would allow use of shorter hoses. No. In fact, the hoses would need to be longer. Also, if the filter is upside down, getting it off the mount could be problematic due to clearance to the engine mount.

Last edited:
Turning the filter upside down in that location with both hoses pointing up to the motor, there is no way that the filter is going to drain back to the sump.

All it will do is make a huge mess when removed...... Go with the new lines for sure.

Back