What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gouged Cylinder Intake Flange

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF84Sluggo

Well Known Member
After removing all the residue from the old intake gasket, I discover a gouged flange. (I can assure that I did not do this.) I've been troubleshooting an induction leak(s), wonder if this is part of the problem?

Again, this is the Sky Dynamics cold-air induction system, uses o-rings for the seal. But someone before I owned this plane used o-rings and gaskets.

Any suggestions here?

Attachments

• IMG_6228.JPG
    IMG_6228.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_6229.JPG
    IMG_6229.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 328
If you want a smoother finish, take a fine flat file and carefully resurface that area.

I'm thinking something should be done. Seems like it's a place for an induction leak to happen. Trying to not have any of that anymore.

I would cover the flat surface with some Dye-Chem, then start with a flat sharpening stone to see what starts to come off. You should be able to use various grits to get the surface flat and smooth. A file might be too aggressive.

The more I think about this, this looks like something I could really screw the pooch with by messing with it. Go from bad to worse.

I think I'll have our local maintenance shop come take a look, see what they think, what they can do.

I would cover the flat surface with some Dye-Chem, then start with a flat sharpening stone to see what starts to come off. You should be able to use various grits to get the surface flat and smooth. A file might be too aggressive.

I agree. I never should have assumed that you would know how to use a fine file for this application. Any machinist can demonstrate the proper way to surface this area with a proper file.

A sharpening stone can show what needs to come off. But you will need to pack a lunch if you expect the stone to give results in a timely manner.

If you are using an "O" ring, I do expect it to seal that surface. Close the intake valve and install the intake tube facing out. Connect the exhaust of a shop vac and soap the flange area, looking for bubbles.

If you are using an "O" ring, I do expect it to seal that surface. Close the intake valve and install the intake tube facing out. Connect the exhaust of a shop vac and soap the flange area, looking for bubbles.
Good plan. I'll do this first, then go from there if I can't get a good seal.

This Sky Dynamics system does use o-rings. But as I've posted, at some point someone used gaskets in addition to o-rings. Have no clue why, don't think that is correct. From what I gather, since the pipe flanges have the groove for an o-ring, an o-ring is the only thing you should use for the seal.

Last edited:
Did this check this morning as you recommended.

First thing I noticed was that the current o-rings didn't seem to be the correct thickness. Tried anyway, bubble test failed.

Removed that that #2 cylinder intake pipe and went to the FBO. They had gaskets that were thicker and were a drop-in fit. Repeated bubble-test: perfect. No leaks at all.

Thanks for the tip!

My stock intake collars were all jacked up due to someone tightening them too much. Used some 120 grit on a piece of granite and BOOM nice and flat

My stock intake collars were all jacked up due to someone tightening them too much. Used some 120 grit on a piece of granite and BOOM nice and flat
Did you sand the entire flange/collar so that the face stayed 'level'? That's my concern with only sanding/filing the gouged area, that that spot wouldn't be even with the rest of the flange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back