What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Life changes

Tim 8-A

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I recently sold my 10 after 9 years of flying, it’s been a very dependable and comfortable cross country machine. I hated letting it go but the kids are grown and it’s been awhile since I had anyone in the back seats. My flying is turning more towards lunch runs and short cross country’s, not to mention how much easier a 2 seater is to move in and out of the hangar. Both are great aircraft with two totally different missions, I started in an 8a before the 10 and really missed the centerline flying so I am back in an 8a. I was looking over my flight logs and found the perfect answer to the question I’m getting asked, why did you go back to a smaller 2 seat aircraft? To answer I’m just doing to pull out theses 2 flight paths.
😂😂😂😂

Attachments

• D14FA2F0-082E-41F3-99BA-08CC22E24946.jpg
    D14FA2F0-082E-41F3-99BA-08CC22E24946.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 302
  • 6A432E5D-D5FC-454E-AF41-92C421CA9308.jpg
    6A432E5D-D5FC-454E-AF41-92C421CA9308.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 293
Very True....and NO SHAME

Tim,

Perhaps it is just me, but the tone of your note almost sounds like you are "ashamed to downsize" or have something to justify to someone else around what you chose to fly.

Each aircraft has pros and cons related to any specific mission at any given time. In addition sometimes it is fun to fly something nimble and sporty when other times you wish you had 2 more seats (even if you already have a 4 seater) or another 100# for baggage and/or fuel. My -7 is the 3rd plane I have owned, started with a Grumman Cheeta, then had our 3rd child and owned a Skymaster for about 10yrs. The Skymaster was beast, could lift anything you could stuff in it, which was quite a lot with only 5 seats in it, or carry 128gal of fuel, if you needed 6hrs of endurance; and for the time, it was my Suburban for the sky. Kids grow up, do there own thing and now my sweetie and I enjoy the "corvette for the sky", i.e. the -7. The two of us have flown all over western NA from Whitehorse, YT to Los Cabo, MX. Two of us and two overhead wheel bags fit quite nice, and with fuel prices these days it doesn't break the bank either.

Anyway, perhaps I misinterpreted your tone, and as we all know flying is about compromises, and one should not feel they need to justify to anyone what they choose to fly as very few of us can afford to stable multiple aircraft and maintain a fleet.

Tim,

Perhaps it is just me, but the tone of your note almost sounds like you are "ashamed to downsize" or have something to justify to someone else around what you chose to fly.

Each aircraft has pros and cons related to any specific mission at any given time. In addition sometimes it is fun to fly something nimble and sporty when other times you wish you had 2 more seats (even if you already have a 4 seater) or another 100# for baggage and/or fuel. My -7 is the 3rd plane I have owned, started with a Grumman Cheeta, then had our 3rd child and owned a Skymaster for about 10yrs. The Skymaster was beast, could lift anything you could stuff in it, which was quite a lot with only 5 seats in it, or carry 128gal of fuel, if you needed 6hrs of endurance; and for the time, it was my Suburban for the sky. Kids grow up, do there own thing and now my sweetie and I enjoy the "corvette for the sky", i.e. the -7. The two of us have flown all over western NA from Whitehorse, YT to Los Cabo, MX. Two of us and two overhead wheel bags fit quite nice, and with fuel prices these days it doesn't break the bank either.

Anyway, perhaps I misinterpreted your tone, and as we all know flying is about compromises, and one should not feel they need to justify to anyone what they choose to fly as very few of us can afford to stable multiple aircraft and maintain a fleet.

Yes you misinterpreted, I was ready for a change and it is defiantly going from a suburban to a corvette. Its put the excitement back in flying.

Back