What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Journey Log maintenance Entries

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm about to add some avionics. I'm looking for advice on the proper format for the Journey Log Entries (Transport Canada will be looking at these and i've been told that at least one inspector is fussy about how these entries look). Do any of you have good examples that you could send me a photo of?

Apart from general accuracy, my inspector was picky about only one thing. After you detail the maintenance activity, you must conclude it with a maintenance release that looks like this.

This maintenance was done in accordance with applicable airworthiness requirements. TTSN ____. <Signature>

Also note in the Journey Log that a new Weight & Balance Report (or addendum to the existing W&B) was performed after modifications with new Equipment List.
New Equipment list should include
-removed equipment with their weight & arm
-added new unit model#s, weight & arm

Last edited:
Since the journey log is the only log we are required to keep, I try to suggest to folks that it's a terrific place to store information which might save you some time further down the road.

For this reason I advocate that, when installing equipment, the log entry include the part number, serial number and any known/pertinent modification data for the equipment installed. Five years from now when a manufacturer comes out with a Service Bulletin for that fancy new radio you installed and you're trying to determine if it applies to your radio, it's a LOT easier to look it up in the journey log than to have to "assume the position" under the panel to find that data.

Why will Transport Canada be looking at the logs? Transport Canada hasn't ever looked at my logs since i've been flying.

Why will Transport Canada be looking at the logs? Transport Canada hasn't ever looked at my logs since i've been flying.

I had to provide TC the front page and the pages containing equipment installation entries along with my revised w&b when I had the VFR only restriction removed. There were a few required log entries that I also had to provide.

From TC:
A maintenance entry must be made in the journey log; This entry, which constitutes the owner's declaration of conformity, must detail the equipment essential to IFR flight, as provided for in sections 605.18 and 605.35 of the CARs, and specify that the equipment has been installed, tested and calibrated correctly, in accordance with the requirements. subparts 571 and 605 of the CARs and any other related standards, and that it is functioning properly. The owner should expect to have proof that the assembly, testing and calibration of IFR equipment has been carried out properly. The list of equipment must also be detailed in the weight and balance report of the device, see details below.
Would any of you happen to have an example of such an entry that you could show me?

From TC:

Would any of you happen to have an example of such an entry that you could show me?

I have an entry like this for each piece of equipment.

Installed Garmin G5 EFIS s/n xxxxxx per installation manual

And one entry like this.

I have inspected the aircraft and have found it to meet the equipment requirements for IFR flight in accordance with CAR 605.18

The weight and balance is a different document and I have the following entry in my Journey Log to document that change

Aircraft weighed in accordance with CAR Standard 571 Appendix C. Empty weight with required equipment and unusable fuel is xxxx pounds and teh Centre of Gravity is xx.xx". The weight and balance report and updated equipment list has been attached to the airframe log. A copy of the report is carried onboard the aircraft.

The entries were done at the direction of the TC inspector and satisfied the requirements from his perspective. Copies of the journey log pages with these entries was required with my submission to TC for the removal of the VFR only condition.

Back