What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help I'm in fuel hose H.E. double hockey sticks

CATPart

Well Known Member
Fuel hose between my gascolator and fuel pump sprung a leak. Time to change all the hoses, they must be 25 years old, although only 650 hrs of run. The failed hose took a 90 degree bend in a 11" of length end to end, failed in the bend somewhere.

Same hoses and fittings are used for fuel and oil cooler. Hose was stainless braided, with an inner rubber hose with I guess nylon braid or something similar. The fittings are all Earls, see pic.

Looking at spruce, I decided aeroquip was the way to go, reading the aeroquip hose catalog I landed on 601 as the proper hose. Of course this means I need new fittings, and the correct ones are $$.

Guys at the airport say "summit racing" sells aeroquip, same part numbers as spruce, but cheaper. I go to summits website, I don't see 601 hose or the fittings for it. I do see AQP hose which seems similar to 601, maybe just not "certified for AC"? Still, their AQP fittings don't look like the 601 fittings.

Can (should) I reuse the Earls fittings? If so what kind of hose?

This is getting long winded. Sorry.

I know what you guys are going to say...call aircraft specialtiy. And I am not against that, but want to know what I can assemble myself. They don't say what they are using, as in a brand, which makes me wonder. If not brand then tell me what specification it meets, MS or whatever, I have access to all that stuff.

attachment.php

Attachments

• earls-6.JPG
    earls-6.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 150
Call Tom at TS flightlines and get the best fuel lines available. Worth every penny!

The fittings are reusable. 601 sounds correct.

I made the hoses for the RV-6 way back when out of 601 and Earl's (or Summitt) fittings. Not terribly difficult, and they do everything they are supposed to do.

Tom does a great job too, but the DIY option is viable.

Thats the old Earls Auto-Flex hose, their version of the Aeroquip 601/701 hose.
Hose end is not the 'good' cutter style version, but an economy version.
Yes you can reuse them, just get the hose from Earls.

25 years on a rubber lined hose? Hum.

Tom

25 years on a rubber lined hose? Hum.
Tom

We live we learn. It just wasn't on my radar as something to "maintain" so to speak. However, I do have a habit of checking for leaks with the boost pump on before starting the plane.

Will probably just order from you Tom. Once I get back to the airport and remove and measure everything. The bend radius of the failed line has me concerned though, probably near your 4" limit.

I made my own hoses with parts from Van's Aircraft. Aircraft Spruce also has them.

When I replaced hoses for the engine, I also made my own and used almost all new parts. Yes the fittings are reusable. The cost to make your own using parts from Van's and or Aircraft Spruce is almost the cost to purchase hoses that are already made and test from "TS Flightlines" and the integral firesleeve is a lot prettier than my firesleeveing.

I made my own hoses with parts from Van's Aircraft. Aircraft Spruce also has them.

When I replaced hoses for the engine, I also made my own and used almost all new parts. Yes the fittings are reusable. The cost to make your own using parts from Van's and or Aircraft Spruce is almost the cost to purchase hoses that are already made and test from "TS Flightlines" and the integral firesleeve is a lot prettier than my firesleeveing.

Our integral firesleeve assemblies have become very popular since we released them a few years ago. We are excited that VANS is now utilizing these on their FWF hose packages.

wp7eaa2158_06.png

I've been making teflon hoses for my car and I'm really happy with XRP Pro Plus XS hose and reusable ends. Pretty easy to make. I'd happily put them on my plane.

https://www.anplumbing.com/ptfe-hoses-and-hose-ends/xrp-race-reusable-hose-ends-and-hoses.html

Ed Holyoke

Ed and All....

For those who are looking to build their own assemblies another great option is Earls Speed Seal hose ends coupled with compatible hose. We like the stainless hose ends for strength and durability.

For this reason we use stainless fittings/collars in all of our -8 and smaller size hoses.

A word of caution..... building assemblies out of these reusable ends is not going to save any money over purchasing a high quality pre built and pressure tested assembly. However, we recognize that some builders really enjoy the process and want to fabricate their own.

For anyone coming to Oshkosh, Tom and I will have a booth down on the south end of the airport with all the hose ends on display as well as an RV-14 mockup fuselage showing a variety of plumbing options.

Just for the record...Tom, Steve, TS, AS, all the same company right?

Assuming so, thems some fine mine looking hoses!

2 questions...

1. With your stainless hose ends (i need -6 hose) do I need to swap out my AL elbows and nipples?

2. What would you say is a drop dead order date for you to ship out hoses without OSH interfering?

Last edited:
Where at OSH?

For anyone coming to Oshkosh, Tom and I will have a booth down on the south end of the airport with all the hose ends on display as well as an RV-14 mockup fuselage showing a variety of plumbing options.

South end of the Airport or South end of the Vendor Display areas?:confused: Not sure where on the South end of the airport you would be....unless you are in the Ultralight area....which would be some sort of a sin, I'm pretty sure...:D

YES---south end near the vintage parking and ultralite area. Big Blue canopy tent. Booth 948.

David---no even with our stainless hose ends, you can use your aluminum AN adapters. No Issues there--ALTHOUGH steel is prefered for engine adapters and oil coolers. We still use aluminum on the pressure sender manifold.

Drop dead order date---Probably about now. Some of our production shop staff will be at OSH, and with internet spotty, I'd get it done pretty quick.

OH and YES Steve, Tom, TS and AS is bascially now all AS Flightlines.

Tom

A word of caution..... building assemblies out of these reusable ends is not going to save any money over purchasing a high quality pre built and pressure tested assembly. However, we recognize that some builders really enjoy the process and want to fabricate their own.

I think if you have reusable fittings and are just replacing the aged out hose, the replacement cost will be less than a full new hose assembly.

Are you now supplying Vans ALL of their fire sleeve hoses?

Yes, the integral firesleeve hose assemblies are being transitioned in. The way that you can tell if it's one of our assemblies is if your packing slip for FWF hoses has a -1 after the part number. ie... VA-189-1.

Some of the part numbers on the website still have not been updated to reflect the -1 code, so I am not sure if old stock is left or if it just has not yet been updated.

We updated our website rv10 and rv 14 FWF ordering pages to reflect the assumption that the majority of hoses for the FWF kit will be coming from Vans. For those that are changing configurations, we published a delete list for specific configuration changes.

For anyone that has already deleted hoses in anticipation of ordering the FWF hose kit from us, we still have all the old packages available and they can be ordered via phone.

Please contact us with any questions,
Steve

South end of the Airport or South end of the Vendor Display areas?:confused: Not sure where on the South end of the airport you would be....unless you are in the Ultralight area....which would be some sort of a sin, I'm pretty sure...:D

As Tom Mentioned we are in booth 948 in the Ultralight area. We also do a lot of hoses for Rotax engines.

We found last year that we were extremely busy in that area, but it wasn't nearly as crazy as the masses of people in the area where Vans is. This allowed us more time to sit down and talk with builders who were coming to examine in closer detail some of the kits we offer.

We will have a -14 fuselage mockup showcasing some items. We will release more information on some other new items we will have there as we get closer to the show. We look forward to talking with many of you again this year.

Steve

Just for the record...Tom, Steve, TS, AS, all the same company right?

Assuming so, thems some fine mine looking hoses!

2 questions...

1. With your stainless hose ends (i need -6 hose) do I need to swap out my AL elbows and nipples?

2. What would you say is a drop dead order date for you to ship out hoses without OSH interfering?

One item to add on this time wise. If you have an AOG aircraft, we prioritize those orders to keep everyone flying. We seem to have a rash of last minute AOG orders right before Oshkosh.

In short, if you place your order online, please reach out via email and let us know you are AOG and when you need your hoses by and we will do everything we can to expedite them to you. We also have the flexibility to upgrade shipping as necessary to get them to you quicker.

As Tom mentioned, our hose shop will continue running during the show, but we will have less staff as some will be at the show.

Steve

Well I just ordered me hoses. Thanks TS, AS, ASF?, etc. I guess I cheaped out on the integral fire sleeve, but I'm spending too much right now.

I searched around on your site for a nice clear pic of these SS fittings on your tef hoses, best I came up with was this in an RV14 kit. I put a pic here of that fitting on the left, with the image from the ordering screen on the right. You can see that the crimped portion on the pic on the right looks really long compared to the pic on the left. Is the left pic representative of what I am going to get on my -6 hoses? I'm always splitting hairs. Reason I ask is that it makes a difference on a short hose if I have what looks like almost an inch less of the flexible part (accounting for both ends).

attachment.php

Attachments

• fitting.JPG
    fitting.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 86
Well I just ordered me hoses. Thanks TS, AS, ASF?, etc. I guess I cheaped out on the integral fire sleeve, but I'm spending too much right now.

I searched around on your site for a nice clear pic of these SS fittings on your tef hoses, best I came up with was this in an RV14 kit. I put a pic here of that fitting on the left, with the image from the ordering screen on the right. You can see that the crimped portion on the pic on the right looks really long compared to the pic on the left. Is the left pic representative of what I am going to get on my -6 hoses? I'm always splitting hairs. Reason I ask is that it makes a difference on a short hose if I have what looks like almost an inch less of the flexible part (accounting for both ends).

attachment.php

Thank you for your order. It's received and in the system. The longer collar is only for the -3 size hoses. -4 and up have the shorter collars that are pictured. You should have no issues at all.

We don't always actively monitor all threads, so if you have any questions, the quickest response will always be via the email address on the contact page of the website.

www.asflightlines.com/

Have a great evening,
Steve

Thank you Aircraft Specialty, my hoses just showed up on my doorstep, faster than I ever expected! Guess now I'm in fuel hose heaven.

I started this thread on 07-09-2022. I posted on 07-11-2022 at 06:57 PM that I placed my order, and 07-13-2022 at 11:15 AM they were at my house!

All looks great! Living up to your reputation indeed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• hoses-2.jpg
    hoses-2.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 100
Back