What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blackstone Oil analysts

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Good Morning All,

I have a Lycoming IO540 D4A5 with 81 hours on the engine. The first Blackstone reports for a new engine came in very normal for a new engine. At 52 hrs we went from 80wt Aeroshell during the break-in period to Aeroshell 15/50. This oil change had 30hrs on the report and the copper numbers went way up. It went from an average of 9 to 27 ppm. Phosphorus also went way up also. The average for that element was 20, and it rose to 1021ppm.

The report states "15/50 AEROSHELL MIGHT EXPLAIN SOME OF THE INCREASED COPPER DUE TO A HARMLESS CHEMICAL REACTION."

Not being that familiar with these numbers, I thought I would see if others had anything similar happening....

Also, what are others running for oil. I live in southern California where temperatures are not that extreme. Maybe I don't need to run a multi viscosity oil. I will contact Blackstone Labs this week to get there take on it...

Thanks in advance for all the input!
Craig

While I haven’t used that oil myself it is pretty well documented that the copper will go up using it so I don’t know that I would worry about that. Phosphorus is in oil additive that would not be in just the straight weight stuff. I can’t remember if their multi weight has it or not but with those numbers I’m guessing yes (but not verified).

Personally I use Phillips xc because it’s cheaper and I think this day in age just about any oil from the big brands is probably awesome stuff.

Flying often is the most important thing to keeping a healthy engine.

For an IO 540, just go with the Phillips Victory. That is an expensive engine for trial and error.

We had an O-360 and when we switched from mineral oil to AS 15w50 bronze flakes started appearing in the oil filter.

Another engine spiked on copper after the switch (fresh factory reman) but nothing in the oil filter on that one.

Ran the first engine issues all the way up to the lab at Lycoming with samples etc. diagnosis was plating being shed off of various parts, it’s a normal artifact of manufacturing. (Something about they plate parts and then machine them after.). We were gearing up for a warranty claim but they were very confident in their diagnosis.

Sure enough, symptoms disappeared on both engines after 100 hrs or so. So we’ve seen it happen a couple of times.

Here is a great article from Savvy Aviation with there recommendations.

30 N. Gould Street, Suite 7491

Sheridan, WY 82801

Toll Free +1 (888) 465-8038

Oil Recommendations

Summary

For most aircraft, we recommend using Aeroshell W100 monograde oil with one pint of ASL

CamGuard added at each oil change.

For aircraft subject to unpreheated cold starts where multigrade oil is preferred, we recommend

using Phillips X/C 20W-50 with one pint of ASL CamGuard added at each oil change.

Discussion

Two decades of experience has shown clearly that monograde (single-weight) oil is superior at

preventing corrosion than multigrade oil. Unless multigrade oil is indicated because the engine will

be subject to unpreheated cold starts (never a good idea), we suggest using monograde.

The one oil that we actively discourage our clients from using is the semi-synthetic multigrade oil

Aeroshell 15W-50. This oil has a number of problems:

 Poor anti-corrosion properties.

 History of producing high copper readings in oil analysis.

 History of aggravating TCM starter adapter slippage.

 History of aggravating oil leaks.

All these symptoms are caused by the synthetic PAO (polyalpholefin) that makes up 50% of

Aeroshell 15W-50. PAO works fine in automotive engines that have very low blow-by and operate

on unleaded fuel. For piston aircraft engines that run on highly leaded fuel, we don't like the stuff.

Mineral-based oils without synthetics work much better.

Years ago, Mobil sold a 100% synthetic aircraft oil called Mobil AV 1. It was pulled off the market

after Mobil got sued by thousands of aircraft owners whose engines were ruined by lead sludge

buildup. Turns out that synthetic (PAO) simply cannot hold lead salts from 100L in suspension, so

they precipitate out in the form of nasty sludge that can really screw up your engine, propeller and

prop governor. So there are no longer any 100% synthetic oils on the market for piston aircraft

engines.

Aeroshell 15W-50 is 50% PAO. Exxon Elite 20W-50 is 25% PAO (which is a lot better). Phillips

20W-50 is 0% PAO (and 100% mineral oil), which we think is the best if you need multigrade oil

(because you will be doing cold starts in sub-freezing temperatures without a pre-heat).

Page 1 of 2
Page 2 of 2

05/03/18 Rev. 2

W100 is much, much more viscous at room temperature, and so it doesn't strip off critical engine

components as quickly during periods of disuse. If you don't require the cold-starting properties of

Phillips 20W-50, we suggest you use W100 for improved corrosion prevention.

In addition to using single-weight oil, airplanes that live in very high corrosion environments should

have a good anti-corrosion additive package added to the oil. We believe that the best available

corrosion inhibitor is ASL CamGuard. Optimum corrosion control can be achieved by using

Aeroshell W100 with one pint of ASL CamGuard added at each oil change.

Alternatively, Aeroshell offers an oil called W100 Plus, which is W100 with a corrosion inhibitor

package added. We think CamGuard does a far better job, but W100 Plus is okay if you prefer.

Note that most Service Centers do not stock CamGuard, and some are reluctant to use aftermarket

additives. Therefore, we encourage Savvy clients to purchase CamGuard directly and to add it

themselves after taking delivery from the Service Center after maintenance. You can order

CamGuard online at:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ep/oiladditives.html

For an airplane exposed to the worst of both worlds—sub-freezing cold starts and high corrosion—

we recommend using Phillips 20W-50 plus one pint of CamGuard. An acceptable alternative is

Exxon Elite 20W-50.

I hope this helps clarify the reasons behind Savvy’s oil recommendations. As you've already

discovered, this is a controversial subject on which you will find a wide variety of divergent

opinions. Now you know ours, and the carefully studied rationale behind them.

Oil Analysis

We also recommend starting the use of or switching to Blackstone laboratories for oil samples.

They do a much better job than other labs in our experience, and have the newest state-of-the-art

equipment. Free oil sample kits may be ordered online at:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

Make sure the oil sample results are emailed back to you (not the Service Center), and post the

Blackstone report to the Savvy ticket system when you get it. We suggest you fill out the oil analysis

submission form yourself to ensure that the data is accurate.

Page 2 of 2
Savvy-Oil-Recommendations.pdf
Displaying Savvy-Oil-Recommendations.pdf.

Back