What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Info on Converting Aerosance FADEC to Lyc. FI

DSmith

Well Known Member
Patron
I have an RV-7A with a Mattituck Red/Gold IOF-360 that has problems with the serial output from the engine computers and therefore bad engine readings on the EFISs. I tried a used engine computer that I bought and it was better but still a problem. I can work on the system but with no factory support there are no new parts. Most A&Ps don't know anything about the Aerosance FADEC.

I figure I will convert it back to the standard FI and some type of modern ignition. It will be expensive but as I'm getting on up in the years to when I'll have to sell it I figure it will bring more without the FADEC.

Have any of you fine VAF folks converted from the Aerosance to the regular Lycoming FI and ignition? If so do you have a ballpark cost for the conversion?

I would appreciate your input.

I apologize for offering an opinion vice a specific answer. Especially since my opinion is based mostly on research and not actual experience, but since no one has chimed in…
Switch to SDS EFI and be done.
The nickel and dime of injectors, lines, servo, flow divider, fuel pump, mags(s), and EFI(s) will likely be similar or more in price.
And the SDS will add value.
I’m installing an SDS CPI/2 on the Rocket. Customer service and support is top notch.
Question: with the FADEC do you already have a backup electrical system? If so the SDS makes even more sense.

Easiest, pick up some new mags on VAF and an AFP150 or Bendix injection system.
Removed one of those from a friends RV9/Mattituck engine, he never could get it to run right.

To Andoman Yes I have a split electrical system with two Odyssey 680s. Thanks for the recommendation - I have read about the SDS EFI and it sound interesting.

To Walt ; My FADEC had run flawlessly for 12 years until February this year. But with no factory support and only used parts available I'm going to make a change.

Back