What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thoughts on GoPro Camera Placement

PandaCub

This location has the perspective I'm looking for, but I wonder if it would significantly affect the airfoil on my RV-8's starboard side, i.e. to a point where performance would be compromised and/or an offset in trim setting(s) would be necessary. Any thoughts appreciated:

Attachments

• IMG_2274.jpeg
    IMG_2274.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2275.jpeg
    IMG_2275.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 113
I’ve flight tested something similar out on each wing tip with no noted or perceived effects.

I thought the arm of the camera on the wingtip may increase drag/trim forces, but I did not notice any. I basically found the airplane had no idea a camera was on each tip, or just one. I bumped the speed up in 5 kt increments, under reasonable G (for a loop), and down through stalls.

Your camera is mounted pretty much mid-span, and I would doubt the airplane (or you) would notice it was there. The camera isn’t large at all, and a lot of airflow goes by with little effect.

I’d make sure you’re mounted on a rib so whatever drag forces there are are transmitted directly through the rib, and not via just skin.

Wingtip mounting is common enough, but I seem to recall Scott Card relating how a mount at the gas cap was unsatisfactory. Search...

Wingtip mounting is common enough, but I seem to recall Scott Card relating how a mount at the gas cap was unsatisfactory. Search...

Yeah, I was just about to pipe up. Tread very carefully. "unsatisfactory" aka scared the **** out of me when mounted to the cap on the -9. Stall characteristics went way out of whack. I had good results at the wingtip like Mickey.

I've mounted mine on the wing tips with no issues. Have also mounted it on the bottom side at the wing tie down ring location with no issues.

I’ve got a mount on the wingtip like Mickey. I also have one on the cowling facing aft. I actually prefer the perspective of the one on the cowling. Also, get the Max Lens Mod. It really enhances the FOV.

Last edited:
I’ve got a mount on the wingtip like Mickey. I also have one on the cowling facing aft. I actually prefer the perspective of the one on the cowling. Also, get the Max Lens Mod. It really enhances the FOV.

Hi Matt, can you share a picture of yours on the cowling? Or where you mounted it? That sounds interesting

VERY interesting to hear the mid-wing top produced some negative results. Tuning in here for sure now.

Thanks for the heads up.

VERY interesting to hear the mid-wing top produced some negative results. Tuning in here for sure now

Ditto - not sure I like the idea of something that un-aerodynamic front & center on such a critical airfoil surface. Kind of seems like an uncontrolled, asymmetrical vortex generator on the top center of one wing only. Wing tip placement, not so much.

I think I'll play it safe and stay away from the gas cap area.

Thanks for the input, gents.

I just spent 30 minutes trying to find that RV-9 camera/stall post. If someone can find it, please post it here? Thanks.

Just Another Data Point

Not trying to argue with anyone's experiences, but as another data point, I had this mount mounted to the outboard tank screws on my RV-4 and there were absolutely no discernible handling differences at all. Normal flight was, well, normal. Stalls were exactly the same as without it. I didn't try spinning it like that, but with everything I did, it made no difference. It did, however, cost me at least 1 or 2 MPH in cruise.

I didn't like it there and eventually moved it because I didn't want the nose and propeller in the shot, I just wanted scenery.

IMG_0570-M.jpg

I mounted mine yesterday on the tail inspection panel below the horizontal stab to see if I had a tail wheel shimmy while taxing. In the air it caused the ball to be out about 1/3 rd. It took me a few minutes to figure out why as I had forgotten about the GoPro. I was surprised.

I have mounted them on the wing tip using a landing light lens cover screw with no noticeable change.

I believe the FAA requires some flight testing to be done after mounting anything external to the airplane including cameras. You never know the effect you may get.

Philip is correct. I flight tested each camera and mount combination at each aircraft location and documented it in the aircraft logbook.

I've mounted a camera on the bottom of the wing using the tiedown bolt hole. I did it to look at the wheels to measure takeoff and landing performance during my test flights. Could just as easily be pointed forward to get a scenery view.

No noticeable effect on flight (rudder, speed or stalls).

Not trying to argue with anyone's experiences, but as another data point, I had this mount mounted to the outboard tank screws on my RV-4 and there were absolutely no discernible handling differences at all. Normal flight was, well, normal. Stalls were exactly the same as without it. I didn't try spinning it like that, but with everything I did, it made no difference. It did, however, cost me at least 1 or 2 MPH in cruise.

I didn't like it there and eventually moved it because I didn't want the nose and propeller in the shot, I just wanted scenery.

IMG_0570-M.jpg

i use that same mount, securing it to the screws that hold on the wing tip, alternately on the top or on the underside of the airfoil. I use it pretty much exclusively for an Insta One 360camera.It really does provide for some dramatic shots.

I wanted to mount it on the wing tip but on that airplane the tips were riveted on. I do mount to the wingtip on my current airplane.

I wanted to mount it on the wing tip but on that airplane the tips were riveted on. I do mount to the wingtip on my current airplane.

I like the wingtip mount for it's view.with a 360 degree camera. I'm currently working on adding a second Flight Flix mount and adding a pole to get more dramatic editing possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0-On4RZ1O0&t=9s

IMHO, wingtip is a great place to mount such a camera system. If my wingtips had been riveted on, I probably would have considered drilling a few of them out and replacing them with RivNuts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 12.22.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 12.22.39 PM.png
    532.9 KB · Views: 61
Back