What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cut/Splice GPS Antenna Cable

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Howdy Everyone. Is there a practical way to cut the cable on a small, "hockey Puck" type GPS antenna and install some type of quick disconnect? I plan to mount two GPS antennas on the glare shield but want to be able to disconnect the antenna wires in case I remove the canopy. (RV-7)

Much obliged.

I have the same configuration. My solution was to shorten the cables (so you don't have 6' of cable coiled up somewhere) and crimp on a BNC connector to the RG-174 cable. I simply disconnect at the back boxes (G3X and G5) and tuck the wires away in the canopy stiffener structure when I pull the canopy.

If you really want an in-line disconnect, you can install a SMA barrel connector at the end of the stock cable (typically the pucks use SMA connectors) and then go the rest of the way with another SMA patch cable to the boxes. If you don't want to cut and add a new SMA connector to the existing antenna cable (a bit of tricky operation), you can simply coil it up and tuck it away somewhere convenient.

Image of a SMA "barrel connector" in action:
images

Last edited:
Howdy Everyone. Is there a practical way to cut the cable on a small, "hockey Puck" type GPS antenna and install some type of quick disconnect? I plan to mount two GPS antennas on the glare shield but want to be able to disconnect the antenna wires in case I remove the canopy. (RV-7)

Much obliged.

Not a electronic guru, but most all gps signal issues in my life, boat, car, plane, have been gps antenna. Small puks for me have been smallish black cable with a MCX connector ( weak link I hear). I personally would not cut and add connectors. I believe things ( not a guru) like that may change impedence … how it may work.

YMMV

Mike,

You need to tell us what you have. Is this a:
- GPS antenna - the kind with a BNC connector on the bottom and nothing else?
- Or a GPS antenna/receiver - the kind that gets power, ground and serial output to whatever you have to receive the GPS data?

I suspect the latter. If so, following standard serial connection rules you can do whatever you want for a connector. I suspect a simple molex would be fine.

Carl

Carl, Perhaps I need to be more clear. Both antennas are small with the cable molded into it. (No connector) The Dynon D3 uses a connector at the display that resembles a small stereo headphone jack. The GRT SafeFly GPS uses a small, push-on type connector at the unit. Both are intended to be double sided tape or Velcro into place.

Thanks.

Pictures attached.

Attachments

• DJI_0457.jpg
    DJI_0457.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 101
  • DJI_0458.jpg
    DJI_0458.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 119
  • DJI_0459.jpg
    DJI_0459.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 97
Mike,
Is it not possible to access the connectors at the D3 and GRT units themselves, when wanting to unplug the standard cable? That would seem to be the simplest solution, without needing to introduce extra connections and potential failure points. The cable would stay with the canopy when it is removed.

Yes, it is possible to reach, but not convenient. Plus I would need to cut/remove the various tie downs securing both cable along their routes to the canopy; hence my original question.

Options

I have shortened a few of those. Pretty easy if you are good with soldering. Most have stickers on the bottom that hide screws so you can separate them. One I had to heat a xacto knife to cut through the sonic welded plastic cover on the bottom.

Make sure you have some good solder braid and flux. If you have a local maker studio in town there is always someone with the skills that will do it for a few $s or an airplane ride.

Back