What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Stab Measuring Bend Lines

DunkirkRV7

I'm New Here
Hello all, I tried searching but had no luck. So if I missed a post that covers this, I apologize.

I have a seen a lot of comments on how the steps for the front spar of the HS are a little lacking.

Well, needless to say I got my second set of Front HS Spar parts because of the whole edge distance issue.

This time around, before I get to that part of the build, I wanted to ask. I'm wondering if there is a really good method or best practice to marking out the bend lines for HS-702,710, and 714. Does anyone have a good builder log or link to images/videos to how they or someone went about measuring the bend lines accurately on these parts, and drilling the relief holes?

Last time the way I did it they fit tight and perfect, BUT, I feel like i got very lucky (which upset me that i messed up edge distance on the holes). Just wondering if someone has a good documented video or image set to help me out.

TIA for any assistance!

David

Howdy David. Below is a link to my You Tube channel documenting the build of my -7. It may be of use.

I don’t have a video or pics detailing it, but what worked for me when bending the reinforcement angles was this. The bends are supposed to be 1/8 inch radius, so I marked the exact bend point. Then I made a mark 1/16 inch outboard of that line and that is where I clamped the piece in the vice. I used a strip of thin cardboard from a case of soda to protect the piece. You don’t want to use soft wood or thick cardboard because it gives too much and will screw up your radius. Pull on the long end, bend slowly and check often. I used a digital angle finder from Home Depot Aviation and things came out perfect.

I’m struggling through this bit of bending myself. So far I haven’t be able to find any visual resources to help a novice like me bend aluminum angle with a proper radius. I’ll try your 1/16 marking method on some scrap to see if it improves my results. I used the edge of a 2x4 which has ≈ 1/8 radius, but I feel like the resulting bend is poorly defined.

I radiused the edge of a hardwood block, clamped the ear of HS-710/714, and marked the bend line on the workbench.

Attachments

• IMG_5757.jpg
    IMG_5757.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 80
Back