What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vinyl Wrap on Canopy

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Howdy everyone. I am curious if anyone knows if the adhesive on vinyl wrap will adversely effect our plastic canopies?

I am going to try and wrap the canopy frame and since I am not sure how close I can lay the "cut tape" to the frame, some vinyl may end up on the canopy.

There are areas inside the canopy where I am considering using vinyl to cover some of the frame. This vinyl will be solely on the canopy itself.

I've seen it done on other aircraft with no ill effect. Not on an RV though. It would be a good way to cover the over-the-bow screw line on the side-by-side tip-up canopies.

during installation the adhesive sticks but can be easily removed from the plexi, no effect to the plexi.
I layed the thread cut tape right on the plexi edge which would result with about a 1/16" overlap after cutting. I rolled that overlap around the edge of the aluminum skirt with a plastic knife which produced a great finished edge.

Attachments

• vinyl.jpg
    vinyl.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 155
Thanks guys. Ralph, what you have done is exactly what I plan to do. How long has your vinyl been on the canopy frame and how is it holding up?

Much obliged everyone.

Targa strip

Likewise, I’m looking at vinyl as a targa strip to hide the broken canopy edge I inherited (tilt up).

Karetaker - It is in perfect condition. 3 years & counting. I originally thought the edge would unravel, but it is sticking there with no signs of un-doing.
My forward fiberglass W/Shield fairing is wrapped too. It was a lay up / pop it off to finish up edges / rivet & proseal type fairing, I was also able to vinyl wrap with that the same technique. I laid a very fine fillet of proseal along the w/shield edges thought & hose edges are holding up great too.

Poindexter - my suggestion would be to fashion either an aluminum or fiberglass Targa Strip, than either paint or vinyl wrap it. Vinyl alone will not cover the crack (will show right thru it), also vinyl won't be adding any strength to the broken area. I would proseal the leading edge to the plexi though like I did the w/shield.

Back