What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vise Recommendation

vsavatar

I recently ordered my RV-10 tail kit, and I'm in the process of setting up my workshop. I've never really had need for a vise before, but I'm told one is essential for this project. The problem is that I don't know what size or type I should get. I don't want to but a $50 model and have it not work for what I need it for (sounds like it's required for longerons. But I don't want to spend $300-$400 for one unless I need to. Any suggestions on size, type, and/or brand?

I have several different vises, but for doing the longerons on my RV-10, I used my 4" vise and just c-clamped it to an EAA table (I built the tables with a 1-1/2" to 2" overhanging edge so I could clamp things to them).

I think you could do pretty much everything that requires a vise with a 4" bench vise. Harbor freight has some decent ones. Don't cheap out on it, however--you want one that slides smoothly and with a good screw that doesn't bind and a handle that is beefy enough not to bend. Some of the really cheap ones that have swiveling bases won't hold up to you whacking on the workpiece and will slip--so get one that clamps well.

If you happen to have a used tool store near you, sometimes you can get a great deal on an old, good vise.

My feeling is the more you spend on a vise the more you will like it. And once you have a good vise you will wonder how you got along without it.

That being said I bought a inexpensive 4” Capri vise from Amazon for the hanger that is impressive. It’s forged steel rather than iron and has adjustable gibs.

Last edited:
Forged steel

Yep. I had a forged steel 3" for 30+ years. Unfortunately it died a horrible death when I replaced the six "U" joints in my 4X4. I was really bummed. They are worth the cost. I replaced it with a 4" but it's a cast-iron vise.
Watch Craigslist. Sometimes they get sold.

Try an auction

I purchased an 8" Wilton for $80 at an online machinery auction. Cost $100 to pack and ship it but it is the last vice I will ever need. Formed the tailcone longerons recently and it worked great. The more solid your vise is the more control you will have over the workpiece.

A Wilton vice is great if you can find one you can afford.

I have a 5" pivoting Yost vice, and while it is no Wilton - and Yost vises aren't even manufactured in the US anymore - I've been happy enough with it for the price. To me it's the "least inferior substitute" for a real Wilton.

After cracking two vises, I want with a Palmgren 5.5" 65,000 PSI ductile iron bench vise and had no more issues with breaking them. Yost is also another good brand beside Wilton, in any case be sure to look for the 65,000 psi strength rating for the iron. It will not be cheap.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Baby Pic

Made in LA
Restored in 1990
Two sets of the soft jaws Mike mentioned

Attachments

• 7D3D52DE-5D96-48DE-B65E-3D8E1E83DE81.jpg
    7D3D52DE-5D96-48DE-B65E-3D8E1E83DE81.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 177
I ordered this one. I hope it's decent.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220619-173024_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-173024_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 217
I have several Wilton machinist vises that have held up well over 20 years with no problems. They were pricey even back then. Unless it's something for one time use or something employees will lose I try to avoid HF. We went through 5-1" HF impacts. Same thing went wrong with all of them.

My vise is older than probably anyone still holding a medical. I'm sure it's been smacked around before I got it and I haven't managed to break it either.

Magnetic jaw pads are mandatory, not sure how I ever survived without them.

PSA There's a Wilton Bullet vise listed on Facebook Marketplace for free in Willowbrook, IL

I had a light duty 4” vise but it wasn’t up to the longeron bending task. I bought a Doyle 4” vise from HF and continue to be impressed. It’s very rugged and has decent tolerances. It was maybe $135. I should have gone that way originally.

Back