What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glare shield cover from Aerosport products

vinzer

Well Known Member
Hi all!

I ordered glare shield cover from Aerosport products at the end of January '22
It is not yet ready :( and no ETA date according to Will @AeroSport. I find it a bit poor service when no ETA can be given for a single and relatively simple part :confused:

My question is for all who installed their glare shields - will it be possible to install it after windshield is installed and glue in place ? I plan to install transparencies in April and this glare shield holds me from windshield installation.

And another question: I ordered glare shield with fan covers. Does that mean that the fan openings will be pre-punched in the glare shield ? If so that means I will not be able to make openings in the aluminum dash until I receive and install the glare shield to ensure holes are aligned ?

will it be possible to install it after windshield is installed and glue in place ?

Not only is it possible, I'd say it's preferable. I installed mine after windshield was in. That simply means I put in velcro strips to hold it in place. You will want it to be removable in the future. (I've ran 2 new wires under it since build.)

Does that mean that the fan openings will be pre-punched in the glare shield ? If so that means I will not be able to make openings in the aluminum dash until I receive and install the glare shield to ensure holes are aligned ?

You're correct, but Aerosport MAY be able to give you hole location measurements to cut "in advance". I'd contact them to ask.

Thank you for your input Randy.
I will try to contact them and get these measurements now. ;)

Why not prime, then paint flat black? The fan gets a pattern of holes so no need for a fan screen. The RV-10 gets two fans.

The edge trim is from Cleaveland Tools: https://www.cleavelandtool.com/collections/all/airplane-accessories
Carl
9-EEE60-B8-72-EC-4613-AC9-F-D3-B516-DB2799.jpg

You cut the holes in the aerosport glare shield, the panel comes with snap rings and a grill for the fan holes to finish them off.
Installation instructions are on aerosports' resource page or you can get them from this link. https://www.aerosportproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Glare-Shield-Installation-Instructions_rev2.pdf
The installation photos are shown with the windscreen in place. You may want to make a paper template of the glare shield with the curve of the windshield as you are installing the window, just in case you need the curve later. But that is not necessary.

Thank you to all responded to my question. I now have figured that out and already have installation instructions. So I can safely proceed with my windshield installation now ;)

Will at Aerosport is pretty good about keeping in touch, so I would send him a request through the website. I do know that they are busy as I'm waiting on a new carpet kit.

-Marc

We have a full interior on order and info has been provided along the way about delays etc.

These guys are busy !

Aerosport

I have almost all Aerosport interior in my 10. Service and product was outstanding. This was all before the supply chain problems that they are having now.

Last edited:
One thing not mentioned in the installation instructions, but probably good to know - unless you or your panel builder leaves a gap (1/8" or so) between the panel and the glareshield - there won't be enough room to tuck the cover in between.

So what does work is to have the folded over edge trimmed and bound and then use velcro on this edge like the main part of the cover on top. Aerosport will do this, but it requires you mark this measurement on your cover and send it back to them.

I learned the hard way on this...

It is actually better to wait on the installation until the window is in. Less chance of damaging the leather.

The fan cutouts are not pre cut. They provide a paper template that you use to trim and fit the cover. You then install the grills and finally the cover itself using Velcro. The windshield needs to be in before you install the cover.

I have a lot of the Aero Sport products and I love all of them (panel, center console, interior panels, door handles, etc) but the glare shield sucks and I've told Will this. I pulled, stretched, and tried to fit theirs for three days and finally set it aside and made one from vinyl from Joann's fabrics for less than $30. First of all it it was too short. I should have sent it back immediately. I made a paper template the exact size I needed and glued my vinyl to it. I cut the aft edge 1/2" long and wrapped it under and finished it with edging from McMaster Carr. I was able to reuse the 3" vents and glare shield handles from Aero Sport so all was not lost. The McMaster-Carr edging was 24175K71. If i did it again I'd get the 3/32" wide to accommodate the wrap and the metal glare shield.

Back