What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TPMS? Anyone??? Cool or Crazy idea?

I used this one. Bluetooth to phone so no need for a bulky display.

Attachments

• 0528B62A-ACE0-4D19-B337-F688229B5747.jpeg
    0528B62A-ACE0-4D19-B337-F688229B5747.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 293
Got mine on Amazon. Reads out on my iPhone with an app. It has been working great for the last six months. It shows pressure and temperature.

Pat
KHAF RV7

Is this a silly idea or great one? I'm interested to know if anyone uses a tire pressure management system (TPMS) and if so... which one and your thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZL2ZB92/ref=emc_b_5_t

Thanks!

It's not a silly thought at all, but I tried a similar idea and came to regret it. The device that goes on the valve leaked and after an overnight away from home had to deal with a flat tire - with wheelpants on. That is not a problem you want to be forced to tackle outside of your home environment/hangar.
I've had Michelin Airstop tubes on for 8 years now, add a psi or two annually, and have not gone back to the TPMS.

I have a TPMS. It’s a chock designed to fit a properly inflated tire. If the chock is ever hard to remove on preflight, I know my tire pressure is low. :p

Not to be glib about it, but the calibrated eyeball works fine. With these little tires, it's not difficult to see when they're starting to get low.

And as David mentioned, replacing the standard caps with something else opens up the potential for a different problem. The caps that come with the tubes are not just to keep the dirt out - they are all metal and have integrated o-rings making them more or less airtight and providing redundancy in case of valve core failure (it does happen). Not a huge deal but worth considering if you are thinking about replacing them with something else.

Last edited:
Metal Caps

"The caps that come with the tubes are not just to keep the dirt out - they are all metal and have integrated o-rings making them more or less airtight and providing redundancy in case of valve core failure (it does happen)."

I have looked at those valve caps and pondered why they used something that must be 5x as heavy as what is on my truck...

+1

It's not a silly thought at all, but I tried a similar idea and came to regret it. The device that goes on the valve leaked and after an overnight away from home had to deal with a flat tire - with wheelpants on. That is not a problem you want to be forced to tackle outside of your home environment/hangar.
I've had Michelin Airstop tubes on for 8 years now, add a psi or two annually, and have not gone back to the TPMS.

Fortunately, my flat was in my hangar, but that was the end of that TPMS experiment.

Merrill

Not to be glib about it, but the calibrated eyeball works fine. With these little tires, it's not difficult to see when they're starting to get low.

And as David mentioned, replacing the standard caps with something else opens up the potential for a different problem. The caps that come with the tubes are not just to keep the dirt out - they are all metal and have integrated o-rings making them more or less airtight and providing redundancy in case of valve core failure (it does happen). Not a huge deal but worth considering if you are thinking about replacing them with something else.

Once again, it comes down to risk mitigation.

Realistically, it the tire is properly inflated and there is a cap of some sort on the stem, the likelihood of the valve failing, all of a sudden without warning is very slim.

Also, the likelihood of the TPMS sensor cap failing is small, though probably higher than the valve.

The chance of the TPMS cap AND the valve failing at the same time would be very rare, indeed.

It is, however, an individual's aversion to such risk that is completely different from one to another.

Remember, in ANY mechanical system, if you drill down far enough, you will find a failure...

All that said, I still haven't decided whether to go with a TPMS or not; as has been previously posted, I too only need to add air every couple of months and it is usually only a pound or two...

I tried a TPMS system briefly - reverted back to normal valve caps after just a month or so. Just seemed like overkill to me and the interface was very cumbersome.

Not that crazy at all

Is this a silly idea or great one? I'm interested to know if anyone uses a tire pressure management system (TPMS) and if so... which one and your thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZL2ZB92/ref=emc_b_5_t

Thanks!

Certainly a good enough idea that Beringer developed a system for some of their wheels - https://www.beringer-aero.com/en/sensair

I would use this if I had Beringer wheels on the RV-10, but couldn't justify the cost vs. Matco.

Given the difficulty of getting to the valve stems on both of my RV's, a lightweight system that works would be beneficial.

Once again, it comes down to risk mitigation.

Realistically, it the tire is properly inflated and there is a cap of some sort on the stem, the likelihood of the valve failing, all of a sudden without warning is very slim.

Also, the likelihood of the TPMS sensor cap failing is small, though probably higher than the valve.

The chance of the TPMS cap AND the valve failing at the same time would be very rare, indeed.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think a TPMS like we’re talking about here has already opened the valve. If not, how does it know the pressure in the tire?

-Andy

yes

Very good point. I would still stand by the rarity of a cap failure based on how many are actually being used on different vehicles versus the number of failures...

Still thinking about giving it a try but again, really only put air in every couple of months...

Very good point. I would still stand by the rarity of a cap failure based on how many are actually being used on different vehicles versus the number of failures...

I don't believe the system that are on most cars are using the inexpensive cap type sensor being sold on amazon. With the screw on type the "measuring sensor cap" becomes the valve holding the air in the tube not the stem that came with the aircraft grade tube.

vehicles

There are many, many vehicles using the sensor caps; RV campers, older cars, tons of motorcycles and trikes, trailers, etc.

Lots of examples of success. True, having a failure during flight on an aircraft is a different animal but there is the risk aversion factor again. Some people are much less risk averse than others...and that's ok. You should be comfortable with your choices...

When I looked into this a while back, I discovered that the TPMS only transmitted its pressure reading once it was “woken up”, (ie tire turning) so as to not drain its battery when parked. If this is the case, then you will not get a reading when you arrive at the hangar. You would have to move the plane first and I don’t know what speed is required. Does anyone here know?

High altitude causes a larger pressure difference between the tire and ambient pressures. So if you had a small leak, it could theoretically become a faster leak at altitude. So if you had TPMS, would checking the pressures be on the “before landing” checklist? it would be nice to know you didn't get a flat while cruising. But if the tires don’t turn when in flight, sleep mode sets in yet again. So do you get no reading when in sleep mode or do you get the last reading that was transmitted? That may be the pressure received at takeoff.

Can anyone who’s actually using these comment on how/when you use it.

Bevan.

Last edited:

Still thinking about giving it a try but again, really only put air in every couple of months...

All of my vehicles have a TPMS system.,..I think they were mandated back in about 2005. They are direct-systems with the pressure transmitter inside the tire on the wheel itself or part of the valve stem on the inside, and transmit wirelessly to the vehicle's computer. I'm not aware of any factory TMPS system for autos that has anything to with the valve stem cap, and the reason most often quoted to me is that they do a crappy job of keeping the valve stem sealed. As to batteries, they're a permanent part of each sensor and supposedly have a lifespan of about 10 years. AFAIK, they're on all the time and don't have to wait for any tire rotation. Beringer's TPMS is internal, not part of the valve stem cap.

https://www.beringer-aero.com/en/sensair

Last edited:
I use stem cap TPMS on my 5th wheel camper. They might send data almost immediately when moving or may take several minutes to talk to the display. I chose not to use them on my plane.

I check my TPMS caps before every flight and after back at the hangar. It shows pressure and temperature. The tires do not need to rotate to get a reading. When I do add air I crosscheck the reading on a acurate pressure gauge vs the TPMS and it's been right on.

Recent article in AOPA: http://https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2023/august/pilot/products-no-more-guessing
Talks about this again. Any recent first hand experiences? Ones preferred or not?

The article mentions LEEPEE any first hand reports for plane usage?

Would be nice to check pressure before flying as opposed to the “looks under wheel pant” says “Looks ok….”

Thanks!

I think it's great technology. I saw some Beringer wheels at their stand at an airshow this weekend, and they all seem to have built-in TPMS, and of course they are tubeless. That would be an excellent upgrade!

When I looked into this a while back, I discovered that the TPMS only transmitted its pressure reading once it was “woken up”, (ie tire turning) so as to not drain its battery when parked. If this is the case, then you will not get a reading when you arrive at the hangar. You would have to move the plane first and I don’t know what speed is required. Does anyone here know?

High altitude causes a larger pressure difference between the tire and ambient pressures. So if you had a small leak, it could theoretically become a faster leak at altitude. So if you had TPMS, would checking the pressures be on the “before landing” checklist? it would be nice to know you didn't get a flat while cruising. But if the tires don’t turn when in flight, sleep mode sets in yet again. So do you get no reading when in sleep mode or do you get the last reading that was transmitted? That may be the pressure received at takeoff.

Can anyone who’s actually using these comment on how/when you use

Bevan.

They can be “woke up” by doing an auto search without moving airplane and get the readings, however, mine sometimes won’t pick up sensors in flight due to metal / fiberglass interference. Work great on motorcycle.

Back