What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will the RV15 make its debut at OSH22

Will Vans debut the RV15 at Oshkosh22 as part of their big 50 year anniversary?

• Total voters
Remember, they surprised us with the 14 at Oshkosh. At least this time they gave us early notice. :rolleyes:

Nahhh - Just turn up at one of the Flying Cowboys meets early in the year as a home designed backwoods airplane ;)

Focus at Vans should be getting caught up on current order deliveries. I am supposing the RV-15 is probably pushed to back burner or taken off the stove for 2022.

Last edited:
Focus at Vans should be getting caught up on current order deliveries. I am supposing the RV-15 is probably pushed to back burner or taken off the stove for 2022.

I don’t think it’s the R&D departments job to focus on getting caught up

About me

Well it depends if I finish my 9A by then. you see it is all about me. Vans won't release the 15 until i finish my 9A. Because then I would be really tying up the customer support line!

Anything…?

It would be nice (and appreciated) if they gave us something more to go on. Even a little more info, details, a photo, their progress, anything…

Some of us are ready to start building NOW, and none of us are getting any younger.

I’ll give them until Oshkosh 2022 to at least provide some substantive information, otherwise I’ll proceed on with my next project based on what is actually available in the market.

Probably No Flying Aircraft for Osh 22

It would be nice (and appreciated) if they gave us something more to go on. Even a little more info, details, a photo, their progress, anything…

I agree. They could at least provide basics of the design which should be locked in by now since they supposedly have the wooden mock-up done. If the mock-up is done, they should know how many seats (tandem vs side-by side if it's a 2 seater), approximate engine size, strutted vs cantilever.

When they announced at Osh21, they said "We will be done before Oshkosh next year to the point where we can have a picture to show that." A picture could be a photo of a flying aircraft, or a cartoon illustration of a concept.

Factor in the unprecedented burden Vans now has with the backlog of orders, labor shortages and supply chain issues, I think the best we'll get is a cartoon illustration. I know they mentioned R&D being independent of their production, but these are crazy times, and they made commitments to paying customers. They have zero commitments to the RV-15 crowd other than a picture of a plane for Osh22.

The taste of reality . . .

I agree. They could at least provide basics of the design which should be locked in by now since they supposedly have the wooden mock-up done. If the mock-up is done, they should know how many seats (tandem vs side-by side if it's a 2 seater), approximate engine size, strutted vs cantilever.

When they announced at Osh21, they said "We will be done before Oshkosh next year to the point where we can have a picture to show that." A picture could be a photo of a flying aircraft, or a cartoon illustration of a concept.

Factor in the unprecedented burden Vans now has with the backlog of orders, labor shortages and supply chain issues, I think the best we'll get is a cartoon illustration. I know they mentioned R&D being independent of their production, but these are crazy times, and they made commitments to paying customers. They have zero commitments to the RV-15 crowd other than a picture of a plane for Osh22.

And new product introduction before it is fully baked just gives competition and head start with an inferior aaahh -errrr less developed product. Lots of shiny things offered in neverland of OSH, it is so easy compared to a fully developed product (Vans of today) and only serves to stop right-now purchases.

Cartoon it is.

You got that right

I would say say your thinking is correct.

Amen.
The video is pretty clear, like many other businesses right now, Vans demand far outweighs supply and product can only be produced at a given rate with available supplies, shipping delays notwithstanding. My guess is the RV15 concept may be announced but kits being available may be a while, or longer.

When I was building my 4, Van would occasionally answer the support line and there were only two RV models.

Times have changed..
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Would not be surprised if Vans slows down or delays development of the RV-15 due to need for staffing on delays on existing products.
Its not like they are hurting on sales and need a new product to bolster their revenue.

Me

Would not be surprised if Vans slows down or delays development of the RV-15 due to need for staffing on delays on existing products.
Its not like they are hurting on sales and need a new product to bolster their revenue.

As I said above, it is all about me. They WILL release it when my RV9A is done. So when you see my first flight announcement this year, that's when it will be released. So if you are waiting, come help me finish the 9A!

Does anybody have any updates?

The FAA aircraft Registry will most likely list the RV-15 aircraft shortly after it takes flight. The Registry does get updated but like everything else these days, it may not be on time. Vans Aircraft already has a few reserved N numbers that they can use or they could surprise us with a number that they do not already have control of.

The FAA aircraft Registry will most likely list the RV-15 aircraft shortly after it takes flight. The Registry does get updated but like everything else these days, it may not be on time. Vans Aircraft already has a few reserved N numbers that they can use or they could surprise us with a number that they do not already have control of.

My bet is 815LT. I've been watching it for a while. They reserved it last year a month or two after Osh and it's the only number they have with "15" in it that isn't already assigned to an airplane. I thought about setting AWS Transcribe to listen to liveatc and alert for anything like that number, but it'd be so far out of the free tier I decided I should just enjoy the suspense and eventual surprise :)

AOPA says the 15 will be at Oshkosh this year:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2022/april/12/vans-aircraft-celebrates-50-years

“Van’s Aircraft will celebrate its fiftieth anniversary at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2022 with the public debut of its first high-wing design—the RV–15”

We've stated publicly (including way back at OSH21) that our target is to make OSH22 with a prototype airplane. That remains our goal. But to be clear: Nothing's ever guaranteed until it's actually ready! If it's ready, we'll have it there. AOPA knows (via the same public info as everyone else) that we're working toward that target. Regardless of when it happens and where, we're excited for it!

We will of course be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the company, and Monday will be the big day for that, so we hope you'll be there at the beginning of the week!

We've stated publicly (including way back at OSH21) that our target is to make OSH22 with a prototype airplane. That remains our goal. But to be clear: Nothing's ever guaranteed until it's actually ready! If it's ready, we'll have it there. AOPA knows (via the same public info as everyone else) that we're working toward that target. Regardless of when it happens and where, we're excited for it!

We will of course be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the company, and Monday will be the big day for that, so we hope you'll be there at the beginning of the week!

Free stuff for all builders?

;)

Reveal

Vans closed this Thursday at 2:00PM for employee reveal of RV-15 and company wide meeting on keeping quiet about it's existence. :D ;) :cool:

Brandon

Joking.......maybe?

Last edited:
Vans closed this Thursday at 2:00PM for employee reveal of RV-15 and company wide meeting on keeping quiet about it's existence. :D ;) :cool:

Brandon

Joking.......maybe?

Fun story. Not actually true. People are already pretty well practiced at keeping quiet about the 15. :)

We’re holding a thank you event for our employees who have been working like crazy, and their guests, to recognize and appreciate their hard work and dedication. We’re actually going to do a quick company meeting and then watch the new top gun movie together.

I love it

We’re holding a thank you event for our employees who have been working like crazy, and their guests, to recognize and appreciate their hard work and dedication. We’re actually going to do a quick company meeting and then watch the new top gun movie together.

This is how businesses stay great- employees are everything. Awesome move Greg- kudos to you and the management team.

Don't give away details, but how was the movie? I'm looking forward to that one!

Well.. we have our answer on Page 30 of the July 2022 AOPA Pilot magazine.

See you in Oshkosh!

JTjcdaF.jpg

This is essentially the same info AOPA posted online a month or so ago. As we’ve said publicly for quite some time, our goal is to be able to talk more about the RV-15 protype aircraft at AirVenture 2022 and we will be excited to share whatever’s ready to be discussed at that time! We will also have a big day on Monday celebrating the 50th anniversary of Van’s Aircraft at the air show and at the evening theater in the woods event. See you at OSH!

N415XV
4 - 4 Seat Plane
1 - 1 Turbine Engine
5 - 5 Blade Prop
X - X Wing Design
V - V Tail Configuration
Can't wait!

I wouldn't try cashing in on any of these just yet! The 4 seats may or may not be a reasonable bet. The other 4 would probably be a stretch.

N415XV

4 - 4 Seat Plane
1 - 1 Turbine Engine
5 - 5 Blade Prop
X - X Wing Design
V - V Tail Configuration

Can't wait!

4 - 4 Turbine Engines
1 - 1 Seat Plane
5 - 5 00 hour build time
X - Xtra back-country mission capable
V - V Planform

I like to keep my expectations reasonable.

4 - 4 Turbine Engines
1 - 1 Seat Plane
5 - 5 00 hour build time
V - V Planform

I like to keep my expectations reasonable.

This is honestly the only combination that makes sense. Pack it up boys we are done here

5 blade prop is up to the builder, not Van's. However...

4 - turbine engines
1 - 1st prototype
5 - 50 passengers
V - Very slow

Sounds like a deHavilland Dash-7 :D Although a plane that size, might take a career to build.

Look like

Looks like I wont make Osh this year. Whoever goes, and if the RV 15 is there, please post a youtube walk around. Thanks in advance.

Count on it!!

Van's is the greatest aviation company in the Experimental world if not all of aviation. This because it has great management. I can't wait for the 15.

You can count it begin done right. I'm betting it will be there and garner more attention than any previous model RV.

N Number

Yep N415XV was registered on 5/25/22 but no AWC yet....... Check out the serial number, that is the give away!

Yep N415XV was registered on 5/25/22 but no AWC yet....... Check out the serial number, that is the give away!

FAA Aircraft Registration is not the worlds fastest at updating that information on their website.
I've seen it take months for that update.

Last edited:
Back